PDA

View Full Version : Damsel ID

Navyblue
12/23/2014, 09:27 PM
Please click on the link below for a video of the fish:

http://vid3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/Navyblue/Temp/6ABA43C7-BEBD-4EBA-A0E9-0962EEAF5441_zpsdlqgfqkb.mp4

Note the Chromis viridis like blue green shimmer depending on the angle of light hitting it. The fish often looks white. At times the front has a light blue tint and the rear has a light yellow tint. Looking down from the top, the fish is most often blueish especially around the head area. It most likely came from Indo Pacific.

It appears to be a juvenile Amblyglyphidodon, the question is which one? My short list includes flavilatus, ternatensis, aureus and batunai. When I bought it I thought it was ternatensis, but I am not so sure now.

Thanks in advance. :)

Betta132
12/24/2014, 01:55 AM
Whatever he is, he's a cutie!

Moort82
12/24/2014, 03:41 AM
My first thought was Amblyglyphidodon ternatensis.

Navyblue
12/24/2014, 06:06 AM
Thanks guys for your response.

The general shape and the yellow do point to ternatensis, that was my initial thought as well. What made me question it is the blue green shimmer, do they have that?

After further googling I found a few ternatensis ranges from white, to yellow to bluish. Some even have no hint of yellow. Assuming they have the correct ID.

If there are any ternatensis owner out there, do your specimen has any blue on them?

SoloChromis
12/24/2014, 09:04 AM
Yep, Amblyglyphidodon ternatensis. WILL spawn readily in captivity too :dance:

Moort82
12/24/2014, 03:12 PM
There's one in a lfs near me and it has nearly green chromis colouration but slightly washed out if you get me.
Its quite large so I just guessed this is their adult colouration.

Navyblue
12/25/2014, 02:35 AM
Thanks guys. :)

I was about to ask which one is the adult coloration. I have too many blue fishes and I wanted to add something not blue. I guess I just added another bluish fish. :p