PDA

View Full Version : VHO vs T5 question for old school reefers

kevensquint
12/26/2014, 04:34 PM
Hi, I use my beloved MH 250's supplemented by 4 T5's. Now way back I supplemented with VHO super actinics. I never get quite the deep colors in my SPS with the T5's as with VHO. My options are, add another bank of T5 blues to have 6 instead of 4 tubes. ( I already have the ballast on hand). Or, toss all my T5 gear and get an icecap with a duo of vho super actinics. Would the difference be worth dropping $200.? It seems no one has ever tried to install a bunch of actinic T5's to replicate the old VHO super actinics...

Aquatron
12/26/2014, 05:09 PM
I think many hobbiest have tried to use T5s in lieu of T12s but they are two different animal's:) I too am from the old school of MHs and VHOs but your question is a choice only you can make. There are many light combinations that work and have been proven now its up to you to see if you feel an extra $ 200.00 is worth it to you.
On my new build I have MHs, T5s, and LEDs.......if I had room I would stick a couple of VHOs Super Actinic in the mix also, maybe it a good thing I am out of lighting space...lol

kevensquint
12/26/2014, 07:04 PM
Ya, the thing is, I cannot find an answer to how different or how similar these two animals may be. For example a URI vho is more powerful than 2 -T5 actinics. But how 'bout 3? If anyone tried increasing number of T5 actinics past the usual two per side. I'd like to know what they thought about it.

tkeracer619
12/28/2014, 10:10 AM
I don't think it's possible. I doubt anything will ever be as good of an actinic as the gold caps are and when they stop making them the evidence will be gone.

Apparently they already use the same gas combination in the t5 as the t12. Could be an intensity thing.

My favorite combo is still radium20k, blue+ t5, super actinic vho.