PDA

View Full Version : Review my setup for SPS, suggestions welcome

greaps
12/29/2014, 05:46 AM
Hi, I'm planning live stock and wanted to know if my system can support SPS ( non acro sps ) I originally planed to go LPS, and soft corals, but as the tank cycle's I'm dreaming up different route. I am interested in Pocillopora, Seriatopora, and Montipora.

The tank:
50 Gallon SCA system 24LX24WX20T, stock plumbing, sump, and stand. Sump is simple, mechanical filtration and skimmer, followed by an empty refugium section, followed by heater and return pump

The Equipment:
Ocean Revive 120W Led, on DIY light rail hanging 8 inches above water.
Coral Box DC300 Skimmer, operating in 6.5 inches of water. All ready making a nice frothy foam.
Jebao RW-4, Power Head (considering a second as time goes on, for now not needed)
Jebao DC12000, Return Pump
Eheim 125W Heater
AutoAqua Smart ATO, Tested @ 0.75 Gallons of Evaporation per day. 5 gallon ato bucket, sealed with gasket and small holes pump's wires.
Planning to dose BRS Kalk in ATO, starting at 1/2 tsp per gallon, can increase.
Red Sea Test Kit's for ALK, PH, and Nitrate

Rocks 20lbs BRS reef saver, 30lbs Sand Special Grade. Rocks are super clean following an acid bath.

The only SPS I have kept in the past is Neon green Birds nest in a 20g nano, It did very well with only water changes @20% a week, in a lightly stocked tank.

I am looking for any recommendations for additional equipment, and species of SPS particularly if Pocillopora, Seriatopora, and Montipora would be manageable.

Thank for taking a look!
http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s418/jmorriso001/IMG_20141216_122707387_HDR_zpscc92264a.jpg
http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s418/jmorriso001/SAM_2067_zps75d21759.jpg
http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s418/jmorriso001/SAM_2062_zps7b53ba24.jpghttp://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s418/jmorriso001/SAM_2061_zps86b2aa8c.jpg

markalot
12/29/2014, 08:36 AM
I would start with a nice Pocci, but knowing that it will spread when happy. My favorites I have are from random frags. One is a nice purple polyp with a green base. Very similar looking to the Bird of Paradise birdsnest. The other is a neon green polyp with a yellow base.

Other than that I would start with random cheap frags of what you might want and see how they do. Montipora will give you the most trouble in my experience. They can be sensitive to water params (not as much as acros) and can also bring in Montipora Eating Nudibranchs which can consume every monti in the tank.

jdraider75
12/29/2014, 10:58 AM
You are gonna need a MG and CA test kit also. And a phosphate tester too.

greaps
12/29/2014, 01:13 PM
Copy, MG, and CA, and Phosphate test strips. And for live stock, Pocci's, I'm going to look into those and see what kind of "spreading" they are capable of. Also what color's varieties they come in. Thanks for the input guys.

Quiverfull
12/29/2014, 02:21 PM
Note about Pocci's. They can grow fast and huge under the right conditions and may sting your other corals and/or shade them quickly. Just an FYI as far as placement. I started with two (a pink/green and a neon green). The pink/green needs to be removed as it is outgrowing its space, stinging my orange monti digitata. I have heard of some referring to them as "weeds" if there is such a think that is sps. Having said all that. The reason I got it was because it was a good starter sps, very hardy. Good luck with your build and stocking.

YoungREEFA
12/29/2014, 04:49 PM
Wow, we almost have the same set up, or will have the same set up. i've got a 45 cube getting set up. Same light, but will probably go a different route on the skimmer.

greaps
12/29/2014, 05:03 PM
Wow, we almost have the same set up, or will have the same set up. i've got a 45 cube getting set up. Same light, but will probably go a different route on the skimmer.

Cool, what kind of sps are you going with? Sticking to the "less demanding" ones like I intend?

YoungREEFA
12/29/2014, 05:27 PM
Going for them all! As the tank matures harder species will come. Im just hoping the sps in my nano survive the transfer.

YoungREEFA
12/29/2014, 05:29 PM
Oh yeah quick question on the light bar, how did you do it? :spin1:

jason78
12/29/2014, 08:45 PM
Looks good. I love ultra clean looks. I would only find a way to hide the light wires.

greaps
12/30/2014, 07:30 AM
Oh yeah quick question on the light bar, how did you do it? :spin1:

Light bar was really simple, there are two ways. I choose an easier route.

First the best way; go to home depot, buy 10-12 foot sections of galvanized pipe in the electrical section of store, and pick up a pipe bender, its easy to make custom bends with one. Home depot may even bend the pipe for you, It would be one solid piece and look very sleek.

Next, the easier way; what I did. Pick up smaller sections of pipe, screw down couplings, and 90 degree bend pieces. Put it together then cut the pipes down where needed to get it centered. Use brackets to hold fixture tight to stand in at least two locations. I know it sounds more complicated but I feel making perfect bends with the pipe bender might be tougher to get it just right.

If using the easier method with brackets it won't support as much weight as a single pipe method. Use an impact drill if you have one to really screw the couplings down tight. Then spray paint it, and set it up. Total cost for me having a drill all ready was about $15-20. The first route is sleeker. Next time I'll give that a try.

Stackemdeep
12/30/2014, 11:34 PM
Some easy sps that would work well in that set up? (If there is such a thing)
Based on your lighting and assuming running 50% Blue and 30% white

On the sand or bottom Third:
Montipora Undata
Undata Jedi Mind Trick
Poker Star
Super man Or reverse superman.
Hollywood Stunner Chalice right on the sand (indestructible beginner chalice)
On the smaller Rocks :
Electric Green, Pink or rainbow Stylophora (hardy)
Ponape Birds Nest
Bird Of Paradise
Up Top: Forest Fire, Green or my fave, ORA German Blue Digitata

Everyone has a different experience but with LED and Kalk I found all of these easy to keep.

chercm
12/30/2014, 11:51 PM
Any pic of the sump please ?

greaps
12/31/2014, 06:06 AM
Some easy sps that would work well in that set up? (If there is such a thing)
Based on your lighting and assuming running 50% Blue and 30% white

On the sand or bottom Third:
Montipora Undata
Undata Jedi Mind Trick
Poker Star
Super man Or reverse superman.
Hollywood Stunner Chalice right on the sand (indestructible beginner chalice)
On the smaller Rocks :
Electric Green, Pink or rainbow Stylophora (hardy)
Ponape Birds Nest
Bird Of Paradise
Up Top: Forest Fire, Green or my fave, ORA German Blue Digitata

Everyone has a different experience but with LED and Kalk I found all of these easy to keep.

Much thanks for that detailed list! That will keep me busy researching.

greaps
12/31/2014, 06:06 AM
Any pic of the sump please ?

I'll try and get one a sump picture taken today.

Stackemdeep
12/31/2014, 01:40 PM
Much thanks for that detailed list! That will keep me busy researching.

You are welcome!