PDA

View Full Version : Having your return Under water

Remmers
12/29/2014, 03:41 PM
The 120 gallon I set up has the return from the overflow attached to a pipe that has 2 outputs both about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom(inside the tank).

Is this ok or should I take it out and put in a normal style return pipe that comes right out of the top of the return?

Thanks

Rich

jrp1588
12/29/2014, 03:59 PM
I don't know of a 100% reliable way to prevent the whole tank from emptying to the point of the return in the event of a power outage. I wouldn't.

rwb500
12/29/2014, 04:09 PM
you just need to poke a hole in the line and drain a portion of the flow above the water level. this will allow air to rush in and break the siphon. you need to keep the hole clear of algae though. its best to keep the main return just under the surface, in case the siphon break fails.

check valves are not perfect but are usually somewhat reliable.

Remmers
12/29/2014, 04:20 PM
I have done the " oh **** the power is out test" and I have no issues there, I was more worried about loosing pressure. It doesnt seem like there is any pressure coming out since it has to come down the extra length of pipe but its under water.

If thats the case i would only get water movement in the tank from powerheads

Holyreefer
12/29/2014, 06:12 PM
Have you tried a check value?
Not 100% but will help

Remmers
12/29/2014, 06:18 PM
I don't have a issue with water coming back if the power goes out.

I'm was asking if the return outlet should be higher up or is it OK to be towards the bottom?

jrp1588
12/29/2014, 06:19 PM
As long as nothing floods when the return pump is off, I can't imagine what would be wrong with it. Do you have a massive sump or something?

wrott
12/29/2014, 08:11 PM
Yeah, how does the water not siphon down to the inlet, thus emptying 2/3 of your water into the sump?
Otherwise, as mentioned, it doesn't matter. PH or other means should be the source of water movement inside the tank.

Remmers
12/29/2014, 08:40 PM
There is a little hole drilled in the frt of the elbow that comes over the top, when the pump is running it spits water across the surface, when you turn the pump off, the water only goes down till that little hole sucks in air and no more water goes down.

I do have extra space in my sump for a overflow issue and when I tested it, it only rose about 2 inches:)

jrp1588
12/29/2014, 08:47 PM
Oh, so it's not drilled through the back 1/3 the way up, it's coming over the edge and going down. Can't say I've seen that done before. I see no problem with that, though it seems unnecessary.

Remmers
12/29/2014, 08:51 PM
Oh, so it's not drilled through the back 1/3 the way up, it's coming over the edge and going down. Can't say I've seen that done before. I see no problem with that, though it seems unnecessary.

It came like that, and I was thinking I would get some extra flow behind the rocks once I put them in.

wrott
12/29/2014, 08:56 PM
Just be sure to make checking that the siphon breaks are open and spraying as part of the daily routine.

ca1ore
12/29/2014, 11:33 PM
Check valves = pointless and useless as they invariably fail and just add friction pressure to your pump. Siphon holes = marginally less useless, but keep them clear. Return close to surface = only sensible approach.

billdogg
12/30/2014, 06:52 AM
Check valves = pointless and useless as they invariably fail and just add friction pressure to your pump. Siphon holes = marginally less useless, but keep them clear. Return close to surface = only sensible approach.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Agree 100%. siphon holes are great, at least until a snail is over them at the worst possible time.