PDA

View Full Version : Iwaki external pumps. What's the difference between Md40rlt and md40rlxt?

Browndawg80
12/29/2014, 09:08 PM
I'm looking to purchase an Iwaki external pump.does anybody know the difference in the RLT vs RLXT models. I saw that the RLT is rated for less flow but I'm assuming there's something else as well, perhaps a fan? Thanks in advance.

slief
12/29/2014, 10:56 PM
MD40RLT is a pressure pump with a max head of 21' and 750GPH at 4' head. 40RLXT is a flow rated pump with 1200 GPH at 4' but a max head of 15ish feet. You would use the RLT for basement sumps where high head pressure is a factor and or Beckett style skimmers as well as other protein skimmers that require a pressure rated pump. The RLXT would be your typical return or recirc pump where high flow at lower head is required.

ca1ore
12/29/2014, 11:11 PM
I've owned both of these pumps (though some years ago) and it's pretty much as slief states. Motors are identical, but XT has a different impeller and larger NPT allowing it to move more water in low head applications. As a main pump moving water against height or long plumbing runs the XT will lose flow rapidly.

Excellent choice in pump though. I had an early incarnation of the 40 that I bought in about 1990 or 1991, and it ran continuously for me until I sold my tank at the end of 2008 (and still going I believe). I would like to see one of the new DC pumps do that!

Browndawg80
12/30/2014, 06:56 PM
Thanks guys. I guess I need the RLT for my basement setup then.