PDA

View Full Version : Oh the treasures we find. . .

Yourmedic
12/29/2014, 10:37 PM
It was the weekend before Christmas and I was showing off my 40 gallon breeder; which compared to most people on here isn't much in comparison. I was explaining how exciting it is to go to the saltwater side of life and all you want is a bigger tank!! My friend laughed at me then began to explain that after seeing my tank last time he was over, his wife and him decided to start a saltwater tank.

We sat down and began to search craigslist for tanks in the area for sale. I decided to look at a few towns away from ours when I came across an add for a 150. This person was selling his 150 gallon tank, with stand, canopy, 2 canister filters, 2 heaters, 2 power heads, all of the decor in the tank, gravel, and the fish had to go too... all for the price of. . . $150.00!!! I wasn't sure if this was some kind of joke or if the guy had no clue what size his tank really was; I e-mailed him that very moment none the less!

Within 20 minutes I received a reply stating he still had the tank and that I was the first to inquire so he would be willing to sell it to me. He lived about an hour away, so I told him I could come by the following evening after work. I told my friend I was going to need some help the next day and told him what just happened. He asked, "you want me to start with a 150??" I told him no, that was for me!!

We drove to the address given, cash in hand and truck willing; the guy was very nice and welcomed us into his house, taking us back to his kitchen area. He had just started to drain the tank when we called to let him know we were on our way. As I rounded the corner my jaw hit the floor. There it was, true to size and with all the fixings; 150 gallon tank for the taking!!! My buddy hit me in the chest and just laughed in disbelief; I looked at the gentleman and said, "$150.00, are you sure?" He just smiled and nodes his head as he said yes!

Without any more questions we loaded the tank, stand, and canopy with boxes of stuff coming out after. The fresh water fish were donated to friends and neighbors; the tank was cleaned many times over. The tank is setting in a room on the stand waiting to come to life as my head still hasn't stopped spinning from the great deal!

I started to think, what great deals have others received? Anything like this; maybe something even better? I would love to know what kind of "treasures" you have found and what were your thoughts, both at the time and now looking back on it!

chicagoreefer20
12/29/2014, 10:39 PM
Great deal and yeah, resale value sucks!

adamv
12/29/2014, 10:47 PM
Fantastic! Craigslist can have great deals sometimes.....

morleyz
12/29/2014, 10:47 PM
That's a great deal. Sometimes you just get lucky when someone else wants out of the hobby.

FraggledRock
12/29/2014, 10:48 PM
Nice find! Grats!!

Azedenkae
12/29/2014, 11:00 PM
Wow, great find man. Grats! What a great bloke that guy is. :)

kmbyrnes
12/30/2014, 08:00 AM
I have found 3 great tank deals on CL in the past year, but still feel my first was the best.
Complete 110 setup for $125. Lights were old 175w MH and were replaced before the tank got wet, but everything else was usable to start.
I felt like I was getting a great deal then, and feel the same now.
If you are willing to be patient, CL is your friend.

Comedy Fish
12/30/2014, 08:15 AM
Just got a 300 gallon for $500 including 75g sump and return pumps.

Lucky Lefty
12/30/2014, 09:44 AM
Growing up, my neighbor was the first person I knew with a salt water tank. I remember seeing him and about 4 guys carry this HUGE tank into his house about 12-15 years ago. I was really good friends with his sons growing up and I would always sit and watch.. mystified by his massive tank. I would always ask questions, and I told him long long ago, if you ever get rid of this, wherever I am I want first dibs..
well time went on.. then hurricane Sandy blew through here. Months following Sandy, I was on Facebook and saw his nephew post something like "anybody want to buy a 200 gallon fish tank". I messaged him instantly, asking of the tank he was referring to was the one we grew up with, he replied yes, I said "tell mr. V I want it and I'm coming for it". He got back to me and said I had dibs on it according to mr. V, and stop by whenever I wanted.
Mr. V, one of the greatest men I've ever met.. I went over, and he wanted to walk me through everything, to see if I was ready to take on a salt water tank. I was captivated to say the least.
The tank had been without power for 3 weeks because of Sandy, Mr. V explained he just didn't have it in him to start all over after over a decade of work was gone in less than a week.
So we spoke for some time.. I eventually asked "how much" and he replied with "you really want the tank, well you're family, so family's price is free... under one condition.. once you have the tank up and established and back to where she was, you have to invite my wife and I over for dinner so we can see her in her glory again".
I was stunned. Floored. Shocked. Did he just say free?
A few days later, I came back with a trailer, loaded her up, brought it home and began cleaning and building my stand.
February will be one year since then. I haven't invited them over yet, because the tank isn't near what I want it to be. I think/hope he's gonna be blown away when it's ready.

Funny note, when we were leaving his house with the tank.. I said to him "give me 3 months, we will be sitting down at my house having dinner looking at this tank" he laughed, looked at my brother with a "this guy has no idea" face and said "3 months? It's gonna take a whole lot longer than that". Man was he right, I had no clue what I was getting into, and it took me almost 3 months just to build the stand.
Oh yea, and it's just a 150 gallon tank, not a 200.

Mrramsey
12/30/2014, 09:56 AM
I Found my current 120g on CL. I got it from a guy that bought the tank, stand, return pumps, skimmer, 3 overflow boxes, 10 bags of arragonite sand, and a few other odds and ends. He intended on setting up a reef tank and never did and had since moved a couple times. All this stuff was 5 years old but new and had never seen water. $400 bucks.While it wasn't free, I sold off and traded what I didn't use and pretty much paid for itself.