PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a frag tank

jharding08
12/31/2014, 11:28 AM
I have two 36" x 12" x 12" acrylic tanks with the sides and back painted blue that I used for temporary tanks when I moved that are sitting around doing nothing. I also have an old sump and a decent amount of live rock.

I figured I could set up a Frag/Grow-Out Tank!

I bought a stand and have it sitting in a bay window, which is the only open spot I had near my display tank. It is a north facing bay window, so it never receives direct sunlight. Plus the back and sides are painted so it shouldnt get too much light, will it? Would I need a canopy anyway?

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e23/jharding08/IMG_20141231_091045_zpsocmsypeb.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/jharding08/media/IMG_20141231_091045_zpsocmsypeb.jpg.html)

I wanted to hang my LED light fixture from a bracket without having to use a canopy. Does anyone have a good, strong solution for hanging a 6"x20" LED heat sink about 6-12" off the water line? I was thinking I could attach the bracket to the back of the tank and it could hang over. I do have wire mounting kits, but I dont want to run it from the ceiling.

I drilled the other tank I am not using to allow for two 3/4" return lines, one in each of the corners. I took off the acrylic overflow corner column and added a street elbow and a screen. On the overflow, I am going to do a 1" stand pipe so I can run my Mag 5.

On the return, I am going to use a SCWD and 3/4" flex PVC from the Mag 5 for alternating flow.

Here is the plumbing fixture setup
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e23/jharding08/IMG_20141231_091949_zpsdptunwr7.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/jharding08/media/IMG_20141231_091949_zpsdptunwr7.jpg.html)

I plan on putting some larger pieces of live rock in the corners of the frag tank and then doing a pyramid type structure with egg crate for getting different corals closer to the lights.

I plan on using an old DIY LED fixture. 6"x20" heat sink, 48 LEDs (50% royal blue, 50% cool white) on a dimmable driver. I have 60 degree optics on it now,but might take them off.

I mounted an Apex EB8 to the stand for all the power. I got a PM1 module for temp, pH and I/O. It all runs back to the Apex controlling the 120 gallon display tank.

So what do you think?

woodnaquanut
12/31/2014, 06:11 PM
Does anyone have a good, strong solution for hanging a 6"x20" LED heat sink about 6-12" off the water line?

There are a few examples on RC of EMT conduit used as brackets. Attach the conduit to the stand and hang light from it.

A few bucks in paint and parts and you'll be good to go.

jharding08
01/01/2015, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a look.

All the plumbing is done on the frag tank. Mag 5 upsized to 3/4" flex pvc pipe run to a SCWD, with equal distantance 3/4" flex pvc to 3/4" loc line returns.

My overflow is a back wall 1" bulkhead, so I put a street 90 on the water side with a screen and then ran a 1" T on the back, the top of the T has a cap with a 1/4" john guest fitting, which I have a RODI tube with an air valve in it for adjustment. The bottom of the T has 1" flex pvc run directly into the overflow chamber of the sump. The pipe is submerged on the exit.

My problem is, I cant get the overflow to handle the flow from the return. Should a 1" standpipe style drain be able to handle Mag 5 flow less head loss from height and SCWD?

Is there a better option for a back wall bulkhead in such a small tank? The bulkhead is located almost at the top of the tank, so water cant build up on top of the street 90 without almost flowing out of the tank.

Thanks for your help

woodnaquanut
01/01/2015, 07:21 PM
If I understand you correctly, you won't get any surface skimming with that OF.

With only one OF pipe you have at best a durso. It can't handle much flow. You could rework it or valve down the Mag5.

jharding08
01/01/2015, 09:44 PM
What is my best option with a tank with just a bulkhead on the back wall? Should I put in weir for surface skimming or can I tune a durso to work with a Mag 5? I cut down the drain so that it is about 1" below the water surface on in the drain chamber of the sump, but I am still getting back pressure in my drain line. Is it because of the volume of water that is acting on the drain line (tank volume vs. overflow chamber volume)?