PDA

View Full Version : Positioning powerheads

Martini5788
12/31/2014, 12:53 PM
I still haven't managed to get my powerheads positioned the right way after months of trying. I have a 75 gallon but the front of the tank is cornered off, think like a hexagon tank. I am assuming that this is why I'm having such difficulty with it. I have 2 koralia 1150, I'm pretty sure that's the number or it's close to that. Any suggestions on what I should try? I have put them in the top 2 back corners, on the sides pointing down, one higher than the other on the sides. If there is a trick to this then please let me know

Lavoisier
12/31/2014, 03:22 PM
What kind of water flow are you looking for? If laminar flow then top 1/3 on opposite corners. If just looking for random flow their position does not matter much on opposite sides.

Martini5788
12/31/2014, 05:04 PM
I just want it to pick up debris and the like on the bottom so it can be sucked up by the skimmer and filter. An aquaclear hob came with the tank so I just put poly fill and run it for extra flow and to pick up large particles. I've been running them both all the time but I have a timer, should I use that? And if so, how
Long for each one? The tank only has fish and snails in it, no corals or anything

Lavoisier
12/31/2014, 05:11 PM
Martini, I think consensus at this point is to use a laminar flow which means you want to set your powerheads on opposite ends and opposite side with alternating flow if possible, if not then to create a circulating gyre will be most beneficial to your corals. Not sure if I entirely buy in to this "new" fad but it does seem to make sense. I run about 50x tank turnover with 2 MP60s, and 2 Reeflo Barracuda pumps--one on a return with 2 OMs and one on a closed loop with 2 Seasweeps. The bottom line is getting right flow for your particular corals.

Martini5788
12/31/2014, 05:32 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but my interpretation of what you said is one on the top right corner and one in the bottom left corner and alternate the times that they are on?

Lavoisier
12/31/2014, 06:08 PM
I'm sorry for not being more precise, they both should be in the top 1/3rd of the tank on diagonal corners, pushing water around the tank, working in unison. Does that make sense?

Martini5788
12/31/2014, 07:02 PM
Yes, I think so. Should they be pointed straight across?

Lavoisier
01/01/2015, 09:34 AM
Yes, as they move the top 1/3 of the water the bottom 2/3 begins to move along as well. Here is a link to the 5th in a series of 5 articles that I have found quite helpful. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature

There are some youtube videos as well (this one is two Koralia 1400 on 100g):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5kH_xlHafI

Ideally, the direction of the flow can be changed every 6 hours or so by using 4 pumps and a timer or controller.

Martini5788
01/02/2015, 11:06 AM
Thank you!!!