PDA

View Full Version : help identify mark on Blue Tang

Zane24
01/02/2015, 09:11 AM
I'm hoping someone can help me identify the mark on my blue tang. He is currently in my hospital tank. I treated him for Ich about 2 months ago (in this current HT tank). I used Cupramine to treat the Ich. I left him in the HT tank after the cupramine treatment for 8 weeks of observation and he has had this mark on his upper black band for about 2 weeks now. It hasn't gotten any better or worse. I have not noticed any signs or abnormal behavior. He is eating great. I just finished a new tank build and do not want to risk adding him until i know for certain he is ok. I would really appreciate any help diagnosing what is currently on him, and also any help for suggested treatments. There is also 2 green Chromis, and a yellow clown goby in the HT tank with him. They are not showing any symptoms and i do not see any marks on them.

Thanks for the help!!!

Zane24
01/02/2015, 06:26 PM
The mark is in the middle of the upper black band. Is this a secondary infection after treating for ich? Any suggestions or help would really be appreciated.

Zane24
01/03/2015, 08:13 AM
Does anybody recognize that mark? I can always rename the post "is QT really necessary "... at least I know someone will respond then..

Zane24
01/03/2015, 12:14 PM
127 people and not one response

Deinonych
01/03/2015, 03:45 PM
Difficult to determine from the pictures. Could just be discoloration from stress.

Zane24
01/03/2015, 04:17 PM
Thanks Deinonych. I'm being very cautious with my new tank and don't want to risk adding anything without being certain it won't spread disease. If it is just discoloration what would be a proper time line before adding him to my new tank. Give it another 8 weeks in a separate QT tank? Or would the 8 weeks start after his color came back?

CoralsAddiction
01/03/2015, 04:18 PM
Two things. I have noticed that copper can cause skin erosion on tangs. So that could be it. As suggested above, discoloration due to stress is also a possibility. 16 weeks in QT is way too long. It seems that this tang could not be carrying ich due to treatment and its behavior. So I would put him in a nice reef environment, your main tank. That should help a lot. No need to keep it in QT any longer.

Lavoisier
01/03/2015, 06:57 PM
I agree, 4-6 weeks is plenty of QT time. If the ich has gone away you should be good to go.

Zane24
01/03/2015, 07:37 PM
The ich is gone and I want to put him in the DT. The concern I had was the mark on the middle of his upper black band. It's like color fading or dry skin look. I didn't want to add him in the DT without knowing for certain it's not some disease or infection. If it is just discoloration from copper or stress then I will put him back in the DT.