PDA

View Full Version : BRS Dual Reactor

jrkonzelman
01/02/2015, 11:15 PM
Changed media for first time in my BRS dual reactor reactor and the GFO canister will not fill with water all of the way. It's probably 80% full. The GFO is tumbling and water is coming out of the output.

Seems like there is air in the canister, tubing, or pump or somewhere else..anyone have any tips or,previous experience with this?

Count Percula
01/11/2015, 01:43 PM
Hmmm. I'm setting up my BRS Dual Reactor today for the first time. I'll be anxious to hear people's thoughts on this.

JDB127
01/11/2015, 02:59 PM
I'll be getting mine this week like to hear thoughts on it to. Also which does your water run through first gfo or the carbon? Also I purchased the pump that they sold in the package do you have to dial it back quite a bit?

outssider
01/11/2015, 05:52 PM
Changed media for first time in my BRS dual reactor reactor and the GFO canister will not fill with water all of the way. It's probably 80% full. The GFO is tumbling and water is coming out of the output.

Seems like there is air in the canister, tubing, or pump or somewhere else..anyone have any tips or,previous experience with this?

actually, the air is in the outer portion not the inner portion. the air will come out slowly over a period of 1-2 days by itself.

outssider
01/11/2015, 05:55 PM
I'll be getting mine this week like to hear thoughts on it to. Also which does your water run through first gfo or the carbon? Also I purchased the pump that they sold in the package do you have to dial it back quite a bit?

I would do gfo first. probably will have to dial it back quite a bit. you only want the gfo to barely tumble. the more contact time with gfo, the more affective it is.

Mrramsey
01/11/2015, 06:13 PM
Yes GFO first then carbon. I run mine at about 50%... I estimate that to be about 2-3 GPM. Just enough to get the gfo to tumble a bit. The air will dissipate in short order.

Count Percula
01/18/2015, 06:12 PM
I've had mine running for about a week now. Ended up running an extra 6 ft. of the 1/2" tubing from the skimmer side of my fuge to the input side of the BRS reactor. Primarily, I did it to add some head to the pump. I found that with the 3' of tubing that came with the reactor, I could barely open the valve on the input side and that little mj1200 would start swirling the GFO. With the additional length of tubing, it looks like I can open the valve about half way. That should save the pump..

I had read a post where someone smoked his pump by throttling the mj1200 back to almost no flow - Thats why I added the extra length of tubing. Works pretty good I think.