PDA

View Full Version : I need immediate help.

riquediz
01/03/2015, 09:08 AM
Hi,

I know these post must come everyday from newbies like myself, but im very sorry as im EXTREMELY new to this hobby. I haven't bought anything yet, since i still need to understand it first. I desire to have a 150 gallon tank, with Eels (Zebra Moray or Snowflake), Couple of tangs, Angelfishes, and etc. I have to say ive looked into fish a little, i know what to feed some and things but thats about it. Now i need help on equipment, as i dont have a single clue what i need. Again, this will be a FISH only tank (Obviously, i will buy some live rock and maybe some corals?). I'm sorry and i know this is very newbie question, but this hobby could really give meaning and change my life.

Thank You,
Hr

FraggledRock
01/03/2015, 09:11 AM
This doesnt sound like its very immediate.

Try harnessing your zen. ;)

Patience is a virtue in this hobby and research is impotant��

Start here:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1031074

FraggledRock
01/03/2015, 09:14 AM
I hope we wont see you asking why your sps are dying in a week.

dkeller_nc
01/03/2015, 09:18 AM
Welcome to Reef Central!

Don't worry about asking newbie questions; a lot of us more experienced hobbyists joined Reef Central to help others out.

First, and I can't emphasize this more strongly - read the threads/articles posted in the "Set-Up How-To" thread at the top of this forum. It'll take you a day or so, but for that investment in time, you'll save hundreds and possibly thousands of dollars in equipment purchases and livestock.

With respect to your fish desires, realize that eels are generally advised for experienced hobbyists. If you've a lot of experience with keeping more difficult freshwater fish such as discus or tropheus, you might do OK, but even then, switching to saltwater will have a steep learning curve.

The first thought is about the tank itself; If you desire to keep larger marine species, you should consider a 180 instead of a 150. A 180 is the same length as a 150, but is 24" from front-to-back instead of 18". One resource worth looking at when considering your fish desires is Drs. Foster and Smith's Live Aquaria site. It lists minimum tank sizes for each marine fish species listed, what the maximum size for the particular fish is, and what care level is required to successfully keep it (easy, moderate, difficult, expert-only).

gone fishin
01/03/2015, 10:23 AM
What dkeller said. Good luck.

julie180
01/03/2015, 01:29 PM
I would not suggest getting into this hobby to "give meaning and change my life."

jason2459
01/03/2015, 01:46 PM
I would not suggest getting into this hobby to "give meaning and change my life."
Why not. To many an aquarium has helped positively to assist in changing their lives. But there needs to be an understanding that patience is a must, there will be times the tank will cause some stress, and patience is a must.

FraggledRock
01/03/2015, 02:02 PM

Without patience it can and will change lives lol

Clowny88
01/03/2015, 10:06 PM
Why not?? We sure don't do this to add more chores to our life! LoL

riquediz - I applaud your excitement, but like many have already said, its a long journey. I'm BACK in the hobby. I'm 4 months in... first 3 months was just planning lol. And now a year of slow startup.

Poke around your area for a dedicated saltwater/marine fish store. That's what helped me get started again.

So much fun, but lots to learn along the way my friend!

97dezertranger
01/03/2015, 10:52 PM
Like everyone else has said take your time and you will have a blast along the way. Lots and Lots of reading and researching will go along way with your success. This is my second time back at it. And just finding this site alone has helped tremendously to not only just do what people our suggesting but more the fact that the more experienced hobbyist on here can help explain why they our suggestion a certain method,etc. Dont just take one persons advice on a paticular subject take your time and understand why there suggesting and here different opinions from a few members. It will help alot with any frustration later down the road when a problem pops up and you can logically trouble shoot on your own.
Good Luck and enjoy

ReefKeep66
01/04/2015, 02:41 PM
" Get a saltwater tank they said, it'll be relaxing they said" remember that.

Dan_P
01/04/2015, 03:57 PM
Welcome. It is a cool hobby. It is also complicated and expensive.

Read a couple books about marine aquarium or reef keeping. Don't go into this hobby with information obtained only from the fish store and on line forums. There are many options and opinions about each facet of the hobby. Get grounded then ask.

Goldndoodle
01/04/2015, 04:15 PM
It sure ain't a poor man's hobby! Nor, an impatient man's hobby!

The 3 most important words in this hobby are ...

Research!
Research!
Research!

m0nkie
01/04/2015, 04:21 PM
" Get a saltwater tank they said, it'll be relaxing they said" remember that.

It is actually relaxing to sit back and watch my tank now... that was after 8 months of battling diatom, cyano, bubble algae and hair algae..

ReefKeep66
01/04/2015, 04:28 PM
It is actually relaxing to sit back and watch my tank now... that was after 8 months of battling diatom, cyano, bubble algae and hair algae..
Lol this weekend I've watched my tank for about 2hrs total, fiddled with stuff for 3+ hrs. It's no doubt relaxing, but it's also a big headache at times. Regardless, I love it all.

Mark_C
01/04/2015, 04:32 PM
I'm 3 months in and dealing with diatomes atm.
Told my wife that if she ever finds me dead from a heart attack undoubtably I'll be on the floor in front of the tank with a test kit in one hand and a checkbook in the other.

jason2459
01/04/2015, 04:33 PM
I watch my tank minimum of an hour a day. Spend maybe 10minutes a week on maintenance.

Mr_I_Dare_You
01/04/2015, 06:04 PM
Like everyone has said. Research is a must. My only input on equipment is for protein skimmers: buy the best you can afford and make sure it is rated 1.5X or more bigger than your tank volume. When it comes to heaters I like to buy two heaters that are rated for half my tank size. I've herd plenty of horror stories of heats getting "stuck" on and overheating the tank killing everything. When getting power heads, buy multiple smaller power heads so you can control the water movement better.

These tanks can without a doubt bring meaning to your life. The people that say otherwise have clearly never been down in life. And by down I mean way down not just a "oh my girl friend dumped me" kind of down. These tanks can bring a sense of accomplishment and responsibility and can give you a mental reward that is worth the headaches. But, things must me done correctly and be thought out and researched in advanced. It wont be cheap and it wont be easy. But, it will be rewarding.