PDA

View Full Version : help. question about black sun polyps

justthewife
01/03/2015, 06:17 PM
I have had my black sun polyps for a year. They were doing fine until a GSP started growing next to them. I have since moved them but they just kept going downhill from there. They have lost just about all the black tissue in the skeleton but the polyps continue to come out every night for dinner. When the polyps are out you can't really tell how bad a shape the tissue is because the polyps are big enough that they cover the tissue. They are eating just fine too. The greenish polyps inside the skeleton have good color with florescent green mouths. Anyone have any insight on why this coral is doing this and why it continued to lose it's tissue but retained all the polyps? My other sun polyp is just fine although it has not grown much in the last few months.

hypostatic
01/05/2015, 07:15 PM
If the tissue is receding, the coral colony is in decline and in trouble. Get that hair algae under control ASAP. Try GFO.

Also what are you feeding, how much, and how often?

justthewife
01/06/2015, 07:29 AM
If the tissue is receding, the coral colony is in decline and in trouble. Get that hair algae under control ASAP. Try GFO.

Also what are you feeding, how much, and how often?

No hair algea in the tank. The tank is doing fine. We feed every three days, Reef chilli, Rods, squid. I am starting to wonder if someone in the tank is cleaning it up too well after dinner and lights out.

hypostatic
01/07/2015, 09:04 PM
Ah, yeah, that's not really frequent enough. I'd recommend at least every other day. Next time you feed keep an eye on the polyps also, and check to see it they're actually eating.

Also, Reef chilli and Rods aren't really substantial enough. Mysis and brine shrimp are standard fare. Not too sure about shrimp.

mark54321
01/08/2015, 09:37 AM
I feed my black suns every day mysis, brine shrimp and fish eggs. They eat a lot more then yellow suns.

justthewife
01/08/2015, 11:43 PM
Ah, yeah, that's not really frequent enough. I'd recommend at least every other day. Next time you feed keep an eye on the polyps also, and check to see it they're actually eating.

Also, Reef chilli and Rods aren't really substantial enough. Mysis and brine shrimp are standard fare. Not too sure about shrimp.

They are eating, watched the food go in the polyps all the way. Started feeding daily now.

noy
01/11/2015, 04:01 PM
the only time I had something like this is when my sun coral go stung by another coral. The tissue will dies off but the coral will stay alive. You should be able to held it recover but it will take a long time.

laga77
01/14/2015, 08:12 AM
Your coral is starving. Get them some live black worms and feed 5 times a week.