PDA

View Full Version : recycle live rock?

JDB127
01/04/2015, 04:59 PM
I have LR that has been outside for about a month it was in a well established tank that I took down. I put it out side to dry out/ kill all the nusicance anemones it had all over it. My thought is to put it in my sump of my 60 gallon cube that has been running for about 6 months. I have the LR in fresh water with a pump and a power head how long do I need to keep it like? When or how will I be able to tell I can put it in my sump of my 60gal? Want to make sure it will be safe as I have 8 fish in tank along with a couple corals, Duncan,BTA,hammer,and a torch.

edavis
01/04/2015, 06:58 PM
this rock will have to go through its cycle again....so 3-4 weeks minimum

JDB127
01/04/2015, 07:29 PM
So just keep running it in the fresh water for 3-4 weeks changing the water every couple days? Before I put in sump should I run it in saltwater for a couple days / week?

Reef Frog
01/04/2015, 08:21 PM
So your old live rock is now in a tub of fresh water? If I have that right it SHOULD NOT be added to the sump of another operating tank with life in it.

You risk an ammonia spike which can kill your fish. It probably has dead organic matter on the surface which will decompose and might overwhelm your current bio filtration capability.

The other question would be "Do you actually need the LR in the sump?" If you already have sufficient LR in the display, I can't see an advantage of putting it in there.

If all you want to do is have some "ready to go" LR for another tank for example, I would just cure it in a cheap tub with a power head & maybe a heater. If you put it in the sump of an up & running system it must be cured properly outside of the tank. It would be best to add it piece by piece with a few days in between.

JDB127
01/04/2015, 08:39 PM
Yes I have the LR in a separate tub right now. Not sure if I do need LR in sump I do have a heavy bioload as I got 8 fish in tank, mated pair of clowns,regal tang,bi color angel,gramma,3 chromis I have about 60 lbs of rock now in tank but sand bed is only about 2-3 inches and it one two sizes bigger than fine sand. I have this rock laying around and I figured it would help in sump for my bioload but I am worried about the ammonia spike like you mentioned not sure maybe its not worth it? Just figured more is better and it would help

Azedenkae
01/04/2015, 08:59 PM
Take it out, give it a good scrub, then put it in a tub. Wait a day and then measure PANN (phosphate, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate). If parameters are sweet, add it into the sump.