PDA

View Full Version : just switched to kalk, calcium is down, alk is up

natereinhold1
01/04/2015, 06:58 PM
I just switched to kalk for the first time a few days ago for the ph buffering effect at night and the fact that its supposed to be balanced (and so I dont have to replace a dosing pump head that has been losing prime, though I'm prolly going to now). Yesterday I started adding vinegar @ 20ml and 3 teaspoons of kalk per gallon because kalk wasn't keeping up at normal saturation replacing my top off water. My alk has risen to 11 from 9 but the calcium has dropped to 380 from 400. I thought kalk was supposed to add alk and ca at the same rate (and it was, as far as I could tell over the couple day period before the addition of vinegar) or does my tank just use that much ca but not alk(i thought corals used up alk to make their skeletons along with the calcium and in my past experience even with this tank has always used more alk than ca daily using 2 part). Mag is at 1480. I really really like the idea of kalk if I can get it to work correctly without having to still manually add either component of 2 part. If not, I guess I will just need to change the doser head and go back to 2 part. Another reason for switching to kalk was I was forced to because its available locally and no 2 part other than the Fusion from Kent (I think) is available anymore, I had bought up the last anyone had when I stocked up last and they aren't stocking dry goods other than a few basics because its cheaper online, shipped to your house. I don't want to have to rely or wait on the postal service to get me my 2 part when I use up a bottle. I would buy more than one bottle (meaning both parts) at a time so id have another while waiting for the replacement, but id just be like "Oh, I have two bottles, that means I don't have to order any yet!!"....fast forward 2 bottles into the future..... "Dang it, I needed to order more 3 weeks ago!" as I use up the last bit. Well enough ramblings, what do I seem to be doing wrong? Is there something im missing about the vinegar with the kalk, or kalk in general, or do I just need to go back to 2 part because kalk just isn't working with my system.

rwb500
01/04/2015, 07:02 PM
kalk adds calcium and alkalinity in balanced manner. your tank consumes both in a balanced manner. if your testing shows such a discrepancy over a short period, one of the tests is wrong. it is possible that over a very long period of time on may become depleted more than the other but that is impossible in such a short time.

bertoni
01/04/2015, 07:28 PM
A 20 ppm drop might be well within the error limits of your kit. I would ignore the change, and wait for a longer-term signal. Dosing the calcium up a bit should be safe enough, though, if you're worried. You'll need to watch water changes for their effect on calcium if you want to get good long-term data.

natereinhold1
01/04/2015, 07:58 PM
I get the 20ppm ca isnt a big deal as a lot of kits have that "wide" of resolution and even in the way you do the test each time that variance is plausible and I wouldn't have even bothered anyone with questions. What I don't get is why did the alk raise THAT much but the calcium didn't raise at all or possibly dropped after the addition of vinegar to the kalk mix, that is my question. Before all of this I was loosing 1-2 alk a day and about 20ppm calcium using 2 part. The drop to 380 didnt bother me, the fact that the alk rose independently of the calcium, although kalk is supposed to be balanced.

natereinhold1
01/04/2015, 08:10 PM
I just tested again to verify what I had earlier and I got a high 11alk and 380ish calcium. I guess ill just take it as kit variance, the baseline tests could have been off a few points and since I only checked it once and didnt recheck to verify, likely chance I could've botched it. I won't do any changes and just wait and see where im at in a few days to a week.

bertoni
01/04/2015, 08:19 PM
The rise from 9 to 11 dKH would correspond to a rise in about 14 ppm at most, and most likely less, given the resolution of a lot of alkalinity kits.

natereinhold1
01/04/2015, 09:04 PM
Oh.... well then, it all makes sense now and onward with my kalk adventure! I guess thats why before it used 1-2dkh and 20ppm calcium a day, thats close to balanced. Its kinda hard to tell exactly where im at alk wise because the color will start to change to green, but after swirling the solution it goes back to blue but the next drop it skips the green and goes straight to yellow (red sea kits). Thats how I get the "high" or "low" #s, on the 11th drop it turn green for a moment but the 12th it was straight to yellow so I figure its right between the two #s.
Thanks bertoni, you always have some advise and help for me and my ridiculous questions.

bertoni
01/04/2015, 10:00 PM
You're welcome! Your questions are fine. I wish that alkalinity testing was easier to do.