PDA

View Full Version : Controlling algae in a frag tank

dtum
01/05/2015, 10:22 AM
I've got a 25 gallon frag tank (cube) in my sump area plumbed into the main reef. Frags are growing and colouring up great, but my white eggcrate gets covered with different type of nuisance algae every 3 weeks or so and then starts spreading onto frags.

I was thinking of putting a kole tang in there, but obviously it might be a bit too small for him. I did try an algae blenny before that did absolutely nothing before.

Any thoughts on what I can do to get rid of this algae?

Ricordeafish
01/05/2015, 04:01 PM
Mexican turbos are pretty good algae control but make sure all your frags are secured because my mexican turbos make a mess of any unsecured coral.

smoothdog
01/05/2015, 05:09 PM
I had this same problem and snails would not help. They apparently did not like the eggcrate texture and even when placed directly on the rack full of algae they would quickly move to the glass and stay there. Picked up some drilled acrylic frag racks and the snails stayed on the racks so problem went away.

Reef Frog
01/05/2015, 05:18 PM
Algae seems to have a special affinity for egg rate it seems. Somebody told me the black crate is better but not really sure as I've never used it. I bet the white crate would make a decent ATS medium.

I had a few small white racks I made in my DT. They were algae magnets in an otherwise GHA free tank. I'd have to remove it every few weeks to scrub & peroxide it or the frags would get overwhelmed. Never did figure out what the magic was.

smoothdog
01/05/2015, 05:21 PM
I've use both white and black with the same results, algae everywhere.

Reef Frog
01/05/2015, 05:36 PM
I've use both white and black with the same results, algae everywhere.

Yea that's what I figured. Hearsay from the LFS owner.

dtum
01/05/2015, 08:09 PM
I had turbos in the frag section but as mentioned by a few other reefers earlier they just would not stay on the egg crate. Plus they are quite large and would not fit between some of the frags.

Now what about any fish that would take care of them? Some say that freshwater mollies would mow down the algae. Or perhaps I could fit a small tang in there <ducks from police>. Any other thoughts?

It is a good idea to get a custom acrylic frag setup and I might go down this route as an option.

Reef Frog
01/05/2015, 08:34 PM
Tang in a 25? Won't work.

I'd try many small cerith snails. Clean the crate first as they won't touch long strands, only stubble. Small enough to move through the squares. Never tried it but they are good grazers. Cheap if ordered on line, see reef cleaners, an RC sponsor for advice.

AdamNC
01/05/2015, 08:50 PM
My LFS uses Lawnmower blennies with decent success in their frag tanks.

Ruu
01/05/2015, 10:11 PM
Cap snails are great if you get several and get a breeding population going. They are small enough not to knock things over, and will breed up to the limits of whatever you put them in eventually.

Dave

ca1ore
01/05/2015, 10:58 PM
Just watch out with snails and rimless frag tanks. All my turbos ended up on the floor.