PDA

View Full Version : New setup advice - AquaMedic Percula 90

SteveZZR
01/05/2015, 11:52 AM
Hi guys,

I've been keeping marines about 7 months now and have an AM Perc 90 that I'll be setting up this week.

I've only ever had a skimmer and rock for filtration, but this tank has rear chambers and I'd like to make optimal use of them.

I'm wanting to keep SPS corals in it so thought I'd ask in here.

It has a weir into a chamber, a media rack, and then a large return section. Skimmer is in its own section at the opposite end of the tank.

Any advice for setting this up?

I was thinking maybe Seachem Matrix in the weir?

Also, do I need specific sand for marine or can I use standard aquarium sand? Current tank uses 2mm ish gravelly sand and I'm finding it traps lots of crap

sahin
01/10/2015, 03:10 AM
I used to own this exact tank 10 years ago. Loved the tank.

With regards to filtration, liverock, sand and the skimmer is just fine. Seachem matrix is fine, but you only need it if you dont have enough liverock...unless you mean Seachem Matrix Carbon.

This is the tank that I had great results with running, a 250w halide+T5, the skimmer and liverock. Nothing else. I'd stick to the basics.

I wouldnt buy play sand etc, any aragonite based sand is fine. There are loads of stuff like Caribsea/Tropic Eden etc. Its probably a better idea to buy stuff intended for marine use as its safer.

A good set of pumps will ensure detritus is lifted and skimmed out.

SteveZZR
01/10/2015, 10:54 AM
I'm still undecided RE substrate as I fancied keeping a Jewel Leopard Wrasse (think stateside its called bluestar leopard iirc), but having read up decided against it, the fact they like to bury themselves tipped me towards fine subtrate.

I've not got the AM skimmer unfortunately, I got a TMC V2 400 skimmer with the tank which has been "modified" (the hang on clip chopped off) to fit into the dedicated skimmer chamber.

I've got dry rock curing at present so will have approx. 30kg in tank with all said and done. I'm tempted to get matrix to put in the weir chamber just to give a little extra filtration. Although I have read good things about DIY reactors with Seachem Denitrate too.

What should I do with the sponge thing from the rear sections? Will that not encourage nitrate buildup?

sahin
01/11/2015, 10:38 AM
I'm still undecided RE substrate as I fancied keeping a Jewel Leopard Wrasse (think stateside its called bluestar leopard iirc), but having read up decided against it, the fact they like to bury themselves tipped me towards fine subtrate.

I've not got the AM skimmer unfortunately, I got a TMC V2 400 skimmer with the tank which has been "modified" (the hang on clip chopped off) to fit into the dedicated skimmer chamber.

I've got dry rock curing at present so will have approx. 30kg in tank with all said and done. I'm tempted to get matrix to put in the weir chamber just to give a little extra filtration. Although I have read good things about DIY reactors with Seachem Denitrate too.

What should I do with the sponge thing from the rear sections? Will that not encourage nitrate buildup?

The sponges are fine. They are not nitrate factories. You can use them to polish the water etc; just ensure to clean them in tank water every week or else the debris trapped will break down into waste.

You dont need to use them though.

SteveZZR
01/11/2015, 10:53 AM
So leave the sponge on the slide in place and wash in used tank water during changes? Righto!

sahin
01/11/2015, 10:53 AM
So leave the sponge on the slide in place and wash in used tank water during changes? Righto!

Yup. :)

SteveZZR
01/11/2015, 11:28 AM
I suppose it's an alternative to filter floss?

Got the edging strip on my wooden floor done just enough for where the tank is going now :D

Should be bringing it inside and filling up on Tuesday