PDA

View Full Version : Bathtub as refugium...any good?????

Fishtanklife
01/05/2015, 03:03 PM
My brother has a large niger trigger that now has ick. We do not have another fishtank set up as a refugium so there is no place to store the niger trigger while he is sick. We can either keep him in the display tank and treat him or i was thinking of turning the bathtub into a refugium. Has anybody ever done this? I have some spare wave makers i can throw in there and could prob take some live rock from the diplsay tank and put in bathtub.

Fishtanklife
01/05/2015, 03:05 PM
my 10 gallon tank is def way too small

Rob6311
01/05/2015, 03:19 PM
Do you have any other means of cleaning your self or do you plan on not showering for about 2 weeks lol? But on the other hand idk if I would trust the bath tub only because of soap residue and cleaning products used on the tub

MondoBongo
01/05/2015, 03:23 PM
you might be better off trying to pick up a used tank off craigslist, or hitting up the petco dollar per gallon sale.

like Rob said, i would be worried about soap residue, or other nasty leftovers in the tub.

in addition to that, i've never had a tub that sealed perfectly, and they always end up losing some water. not a big deal when you're taking a bubble bath, but your trigger might mind if he ends up high and dry while you're at work.

i assume this is a plastic tub? i would have additional concerns if it were a cast iron tub. even though they're powder coated, they tend to start rusting out around the drains eventually, and scratch or chip is a potential trouble spot, and saltwater would likely exacerbate this problem.

fearyaks
01/05/2015, 04:00 PM
Not sure where you're located but Petco has the 1$ per gallon sale now. Could probably pick up a better option than your bathtub (which might have a problem with salt water).

Atf22
01/05/2015, 04:05 PM
Not sure where you're located but Petco has the 1$ per gallon sale now. Could probably pick up a better option than your bathtub (which might have a problem with salt water).

i'd agree with this... go snag yourself a 29 or as big as you can for future qt purposes anyways