PDA

View Full Version : Pump for water changes

fermentedhiker
01/05/2015, 08:18 PM
I'm in the process of setting up my first reef tank(29 gallon) and I'm trying to work out my system for doing water changes.

The reservoir for the new salt water is just a 5 gallon bucket under the tank. I'm looking for a pump to use both for circulation in the bucket for mixing and then also for pumping it up into the tank.

So I'm looking for suggestions on an affordable option for those uses.

Thanks

oseymour
01/05/2015, 08:33 PM
I use a Hydor Seltz L20 pump that is reliable and it works well for pumping water out of the sump to the bucket and then pumping the new salwater back.

To mix salt, I have an extra Koralia that is mounted to the side of my 5 gallon mixing bucket using the magnet and that works well.

In the past I used a Cobalt Aquatics MJ 600 pump but it broken twice on me.

Wazzel
01/05/2015, 09:24 PM
Maxi jet is what I use. A 5/8 hose union fits over the outlet just fine. I leave the union on the pump and just take the hose off when using it for mixing and put it on to pump the water back in the tank. IIRC it has to be the 900 or 1200 size to get the coupling to fit.

fermentedhiker
01/05/2015, 10:26 PM
thanks I'll check those pumps out. I was looking at one for hydroponics on amazon but I'd rather get something I know will last in a salt water environment.

kurt_n
01/06/2015, 01:18 PM
Maxi jet is what I use. A 5/8 hose union fits over the outlet just fine. I leave the union on the pump and just take the hose off when using it for mixing and put it on to pump the water back in the tank. IIRC it has to be the 900 or 1200 size to get the coupling to fit.

I use a 1200 the same way for mixing and transfering, but it's not going to be able to pump much water from floor level up and over the 29g tank. I have to sit my water change bucket on a step stool to get any decent flow. The maxijets just don't have enough head. Check out the maximum head height of whatever you're looking at and make sure it has plenty of "extra". The way they rate these things, if you're running at max head your flow is near zero.

Wazzel
01/06/2015, 03:43 PM
I use a 1200 the same way for mixing and transfering, but it's not going to be able to pump much water from floor level up and over the 29g tank. I have to sit my water change bucket on a step stool to get any decent flow. The maxijets just don't have enough head. Check out the maximum head height of whatever you're looking at and make sure it has plenty of "extra". The way they rate these things, if you're running at max head your flow is near zero.

I pump back into my sump, so not a problem for me.

fermentedhiker
01/06/2015, 05:25 PM
I pump back into my sump, so not a problem for me.

Yeah I'm sumpless so head height is an issue.

I'm back to looking at the submersible hydroponic pump(marine rated) or an aquatop. Both about the same price and flow and supposedly good to 5 or 6 feet of head height.

Wazzel
01/06/2015, 08:00 PM
Yeah I'm sumpless so head height is an issue.

I'm back to looking at the submersible hydroponic pump(marine rated) or an aquatop. Both about the same price and flow and supposedly good to 5 or 6 feet of head height.

Mp1200 has a max head of 6ft. Same as the hydroponic pumps. Remember lift is from water surface to water surface, not floor to highest point. Mine pumps into my tank no problem at about 5.5 feet. Tried it once just to see.

Ronaldo_H
01/08/2015, 03:23 PM
I just ordered one of these for the same purpose, cant go wrong for 9$.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/53-710-GPH-Submersible-Pump-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Fountain-Water-Hydroponic-/281540553477?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item418d1feb05

fermentedhiker
01/09/2015, 07:46 PM
I just ordered one of these for the same purpose, cant go wrong for 9$.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/53-710-GPH-Submersible-Pump-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Fountain-Water-Hydroponic-/281540553477?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item418d1feb05

wow that is pretty cheap. I may have to try one of those before buying a more expensive one.