PDA

View Full Version : Live rock ?

reefer freak
01/07/2015, 12:00 PM
I acquired some live rock about a year ago in anticipation of upgrading my tank from a 55 to 75. long story short the rock has been in a 35 gal can for the last year with a heater and 2 power heads and im ready to make the switch. Do you think the rock will be ok to use? It dont smell and there is still coraline on it?

alton
01/07/2015, 01:16 PM
Check the Ammonia and Nitrate levels and you should be good to go

reefer freak
01/07/2015, 01:37 PM
Will this cause a cycle of any kind in the tank? im setting up new tank with new sand, still going to use some old live rock as it has my corals on it but would like to use alot of this new rock as well.

fishgate
01/07/2015, 01:39 PM
You've never done any water changes or anything just left it sit for a year in the same water? Not sure I would trust it I'm surprised it hasn't gone stagnant.

alton
01/07/2015, 01:42 PM
Anytime you move/disturb stuff around you will get a mini cycle. After you combine everything just watch your ammonia levels, you should be fine

reefer freak
01/07/2015, 01:45 PM
I don't see how it could stagnate with 2 power heads circulating the water. sg is 1.025 as clear as crystal no ammonia or nitrates. But i don't know im still a noob thats why i'm asking.

fishgate
01/07/2015, 01:51 PM
Have you been feeding it like a few flakes of food once in awhile? If not, I can't imagine there is too much "live" on it anymore most of the bacteria died off over the past year. But if it smells clean that is the main thing.

reefer freak
01/07/2015, 01:56 PM
Ok so I can rule out "live" as it hasn't been feed, maybe call it cycled? so if I add to new set up it will become live? Im just trying to avoid a cycle thak kills stuff.

fishgate
01/07/2015, 02:11 PM
It will become live in short order as bacteria colonize it once a food source is available and there is always some bacteria present. Basically I'd say you cooked the rock which is a good thing.

reefer freak
01/07/2015, 02:17 PM
Ok thanks, I'm in the process of making large batches of sw for the tank swap so ill just make more and pick what rock i want to use and put it in new sw for a week and slowly add to the new tank after testing water again