PDA

View Full Version : Live rock Question

reefer freak
01/07/2015, 12:42 PM
I acquired some live rock about a year ago in anticipation of upgrading my tank from a 55 to 75. long story short the rock has been in a 35 gal can for the last year with a heater and 2 power heads and im ready to make the switch. Do you think the rock will be ok to use? It dont smell and there is still coraline on it?

morleyz
01/07/2015, 01:05 PM
You've kept it heated with powerheads for a year? That's some dedication. Did you top off the water?

Anyway, I don't see what harm could come of using it. I would probably give it a good rinsing and soak it in some fresh saltwater for a week just to rinse out anything that might have collected.

reefer freak
01/07/2015, 01:14 PM
I kind of forgot about it lol, had a lid on it checked it last week and to my surprise it was still full. I would like to use a bunch of it in the new tank do you think it would cause a cycle? i'm doing a tank swap this weekend. if it will cause a cycle I will just add a few pieces at a time so I dont have any die off my tank has matured well over the last year

morleyz
01/07/2015, 01:34 PM
If you're adding it to an existing tank, I wouldn't directly add it without running it in some fresh saltwater first. After a year, I'd be concerned that there would be some die off and wouldn't want to trigger a cycle (even a small one) in an established tank.

Dan_P
01/08/2015, 06:28 AM
After a year in the dark, can't be much left. Everything large must have died and have been digested The water might be fairly yellow. Nitrates and phosphates pretty high.

I would do a complete water change in your rock storage container, and store the rock in the clean saltwater for a couple weeks. Monitor water parameters, phosphate, nitrate, etc. If nitrate and phosphate levels increase, do another water change and wait a more couple weeks. You just want to make sure any nutrients diffuse out of the rock pores before adding the rock to your tank.