PDA

View Full Version : anemone food

Sooner
01/08/2015, 02:01 PM
Is it ok to purchase fresh seafood from the grocery, rinse in RO water, cut a little piece off to feed you anemone?
I know, I know...you don't HAVE to feed them. But my bubble tip is little (like 2" across) and I would like for him to get a little bigger, so I know he needs protein.

toothybugs
01/08/2015, 02:07 PM
That is the BEST thing to do. Stay away from petshop silversides, grocery fare is much safer.

Scuba_Steve
01/08/2015, 02:11 PM
And you would be surprised on how big of a "little piece" it will be able to eat.

Sound plan

slief
01/08/2015, 02:13 PM
Is it ok to purchase fresh seafood from the grocery, rinse in RO water, cut a little piece off to feed you anemone?
I know, I know...you don't HAVE to feed them. But my bubble tip is little (like 2" across) and I would like for him to get a little bigger, so I know he needs protein.

Mine is over 2' across and has doubled in size in the last year without ever being fed. They are filter feeders and use photosynthesis for growth as far as I am aware. While people do feed their nems, I'm not so sure it does much for growth. Especially given the mine has grown to ridiculous proportions and even split once without ever being fed. If you want it to grow, give it lots of great light.

That said, if you are going to feed, fresh seafood is perfectly fine. Even a piece of raw shrimp would be fine and is what most people feed their anemones.

This is what a pair of starved RBTA's looks like.
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/IMG_7043_zps150987ab.jpg

Sooner
01/08/2015, 02:13 PM
well, I bought my complete setup from a guy on Craigslist, and he said the hardest thing he had to deal with in feeding this little guy was that the coral-banded shrimp would often steel it right before the anemone got it totally swallowed!

Sooner
01/08/2015, 02:15 PM
They are filter feeders and use photosynthesis for growth as far as I am aware.

I'd knew this to be true, but I was always told that they basically reap glucose from photosynthesis and no protein for actual tissue growth. But, that's obviously not the case if you are only giving it light and whatever it's filtering!