PDA

View Full Version : Flexible PVC

Mcsommerfeld
01/09/2015, 06:03 AM
Where is the best place to get it and are you able to glue it directly to schedule 40 PVC fittings? I'd like to run flexible PVC from my main drains to a true Union bulk head which will be glued to schedule 40 PVC that runs through my floor to the basement sump. Thanks!

fishdave739
01/09/2015, 06:34 AM
I've used it quite a bit. Locally Lowe's usually carries 1" and 1.5" in white by the foot. If you need quite a bit flexpvc.com has great prices and a few colors but I you do have to buy a roll of it. They also have a myriad of different fittings you don't find everywhere. Yes, glues just like rigid pipe right into your regular PVC fittings. Careful and even heating with a hair dryer can also help making bends and straightening it. It comes in a roll and tends to want to stay in an arc shape.

sleepydoc
01/09/2015, 09:36 AM
+1 to fishdave's comments. I've also heard that painting with krylon fusion paint does NOT work, so if color is important to you, order the colored stuff.

As far as gluing goes, you should either use a cement meant for flexible PVC (http://www.oatey.com/products/plastic-pipe-cements-and-primers/oatey-pvc-cements/pvc-flexible-clear-cement) or a medium/heavy body cement; don't use the regular thin cement.

Raoul5Duke
01/09/2015, 09:48 AM
It's not as flexible as you might think in my experience. I would let any glued connections sit at least 24 hours before you try to run water through them. I ended up with a couple of leaks that took a while to fix.

d2mini
01/09/2015, 09:51 AM
I ordered some of this by the foot...
http://www.lapond.com/ultra-flex-pvc-pipe-sold-by-the-foot.html

It's the "ultra flex" but even that I didn't find all that flexible. And in order for me to make it straight, rather than curved like it shows in the pic (this is how it arrived, in a roll) I had to warm it at a low temp in the oven for a bit to soften it up, similar to leaving it out in the sun on a summer day.

Does anyone know how this compares to whatever it is that Lowe's sells?

blueramSeattle
01/10/2015, 01:57 PM
I used the trade name "spa-flex" when looking for mine.

Basically it is ok is you need some movement and it can make a gentile 90* (or more complex) bend.

One of the awesome side effects is the ability to unglue fittings. You cut the soft part and then pull the hard bit as a sprial.

d2mini
01/10/2015, 03:16 PM
Well, i answered my question above.
Needed some more 1.5" so went to Lowe's today.
IT'S THE SAME DARN THING! As far as I can tell. The stuff form Lapond didn't seem any more flexible, especially after warming it up a bit. So either its pretty much the same, or Lapond is falsely advertising what kind they carry.

woodnaquanut
01/11/2015, 01:54 AM
My experiences are different from d2mini's.

I got my Ultra-Flex at Marine Depot. It's more flexible than spa flex I've seen in HD.

Mcsommerfeld
01/11/2015, 06:46 AM
I ended up getting 1" & 3/4" from salty supply, best prices I saw. As for flexible, it's takes some patients but it does glue up to my fittings nicely. Thanks for all the responses!

d2mini
01/11/2015, 08:46 AM
My experiences are different from d2mini's.

I got my Ultra-Flex at Marine Depot. It's more flexible than spa flex I've seen in HD.

Yep, and I've seen reviews from various places online that are just as varied.
So I wonder if this "ultra flex" name is just thrown around willy nilly sometimes.
I don't recall seeing an ultra flex brand name on mine.

But regardless, warming in the oven for a few minutes does WONDERS for softening it up. Makes it sooooo much easier to work with.

Mcsommerfeld
01/11/2015, 12:46 PM
So I wonder if this "ultra flex" name is just thrown around willy nilly sometimes.

But regardless, warming in the oven for a few minutes does WONDERS for softening it up. Makes it sooooo much easier to work with.

Hmmm...good advice to remember as I move forward with basement sump project!

Thanks!!

Mcsommerfeld
01/11/2015, 12:47 PM

When you say warm it up in the oven...how long, what temp?

d2mini
01/11/2015, 04:10 PM
When you say warm it up in the oven...how long, what temp?

I did 150-170 degrees.
I put it in at the beginning.
By the time the oven beeps that it has reached the set temp it's almost done. Just check on it and see if it has softened. Be careful, it will be hot.
Like i alluded to earlier, you're not try to melt the stuff, just mimicking leaving it out in the sun on a hot summer day.
When i go to stick it in the oven it's holding a circular shape, and when i pull it out of the oven the weight of itself lets it hang almost straight. Some bending in the opposite direction while still hot and beginning to cool finishes it off.

Mcsommerfeld
01/11/2015, 05:01 PM
I did 150-170 degrees.
I put it in at the beginning.
By the time the oven beeps that it has reached the set temp it's almost done. Just check on it and see if it has softened. Be careful, it will be hot.
Like i alluded to earlier, you're not try to melt the stuff, just mimicking leaving it out in the sun on a hot summer day.
When i go to stick it in the oven it's holding a circular shape, and when i pull it out of the oven the weight of itself lets it hang almost straight. Some bending in the opposite direction while still hot and beginning to cool finishes it off.

Great thanks! Ill give it a shot.

acesq
01/11/2015, 05:56 PM
The oven sounds like a good idea. I used a hair dryer. Laid it in the ground with the hair dryer blowing into one end. You can put an elbow at the other end to slow the flow of air. Worked very well.

Mcsommerfeld
01/11/2015, 06:55 PM
Another great suggestion, ill try that first as is seems I would be less likely to start my house on fire. lol Thanks!

woodnaquanut
01/12/2015, 10:35 AM
Another great suggestion, ill try that first as is seems I would be less likely to start my house on fire. lol Thanks!

I'd be worried more about possible toxic fumes. Heating plastics not made for the oven in an oven is dangerous!

The ultra-flex at Marine Depot temp rating is -10 to 125 degrees F. Ignoring the fact this is most likely the temp for a liquid in the pipe, very few home ovens can heat accurately at that temp.

d2mini
01/12/2015, 01:06 PM
I'd be worried more about possible toxic fumes. Heating plastics not made for the oven in an oven is dangerous!

The ultra-flex at Marine Depot temp rating is -10 to 125 degrees F. Ignoring the fact this is most likely the temp for a liquid in the pipe, very few home ovens can heat accurately at that temp.

Like I said, you are just doing it for a few minutes, and most of the time it's not actually at the higher temp. I explained above that i put the pipe in when it's cold, and let it heat up with the oven.
Keep an eye on it and you should be good.
You will smell it but just don't shove your head in the oven and inhale deeply, mmkay? ;)
Play with the oven temps, that's just the settings I happened to use.

Pam Roach
01/13/2015, 10:00 AM
Does this come in schedule 80?

d2mini
01/13/2015, 10:53 AM
Does this come in schedule 80?

Not that I have seen. It's sch 40.
80 has a thicker wall, meaning less space inside, so technically it will have less flow. It's meant for higher pressure systems. Our systems are pretty low pressure so sch 80 is overkill. Most people get it just for the color. The flex pvc is usually available in white or black.

jwpadgett
01/14/2015, 01:50 PM
Locally Lowe's usually carries 1" and 1.5" in white by the foot. ...Careful and even heating with a hair dryer can also help making bends and straightening it.

Just what I needed to know!