PDA

View Full Version : shipping during freezing temps

igot2gats
01/09/2015, 09:36 AM
Is it ethical, in your opinion, for vendors to ship animals in these freezing temps in the Midwest?

Should vendors put a hold on shipping, until the temps warm up?

Thoughts?

jason2459
01/09/2015, 09:54 AM
Is it ethical, in your opinion, for vendors to ship animals in these freezing temps in the Midwest?

Should vendors put a hold on shipping, until the temps warm up?

Thoughts?
There have been some holds put in place recently. And when they do ship they don't let the fish freeze unless its to a supermarket.

maroonman
01/09/2015, 10:54 AM
Just had 2 different orders put on hold till next week.its the right thing to do

violet21chewy
01/09/2015, 01:55 PM
I have had a coral shipment on hold for 2 weeks due to weather. Gotta love iowa:)

70ss
01/09/2015, 10:39 PM
Just received a order from Live Aquaria on Tuesday. Temp outside was low teens.
Shipment was delayed on truck for delivery due to snow.
No heat packs in box. (what were they thinking) Water temp was around 50 deg.
Two of the fish were doa other 2 acclimated and seem to be recovering.

devimik
01/10/2015, 12:22 AM
Just had an order delivered from Live Aquaria last Tuesday as well. Luckily, I was looking out for the delivery because it was single digits temps and the UPS guy just left the box on my front porch without even ringing the bell or knocking. Had I not been looking out, it would have sat there for hours and the fish would have died.

There was a heat pack in the box, which was a Styrofoam cooler with packing peanuts, so it was warm enough. Fish was acclimated ok and doing well now.

igot2gats
01/13/2015, 12:12 PM
Glad to know that there have been holds put on orders.

At least some of these places have a pulse.

snorvich
01/13/2015, 12:24 PM
Glad to know that there have been holds put on orders.

At least some of these places have a pulse.

I advise my vendors that I want a hold on it. A 20 hour heat pack and a styrofoam container should work, but I never want to take a chance.

toothybugs
01/13/2015, 12:27 PM
I have a pair of Galaxy Clarkiis on indefinite hold until it hits 40. Courtesy of a major, major vendor.

downbeach
01/13/2015, 12:27 PM
I don't order any livestock during the month's of December through March.

gone fishin
01/13/2015, 12:39 PM
Just the other day I emailed a vendor asking how shipping was going. The cold and some delays have caused some issues. I will wait for a warm up to renew the CUC.

snorvich
01/13/2015, 01:08 PM
I don't order any livestock during the month's of December through March.

A pretty good rule of thumb! :D

syrinx
01/13/2015, 07:47 PM
Too cold is better than too hot- when it comes to survival. If I dont have to have something, I avoid extremes. But when I was in business I had to ship and recieive all year long. I never had any issues with my shipping out, and as I recall the losses due to weather were not much more than any other shipping issues year round from other vendors.

JoelA7
01/25/2015, 01:02 AM
Had shipment in the early January cold snap flight was delayed due to weather so package missed the sort at the local facility. Arrived nearly 3 pm. Heat pack nearly expired. Water temp very low but Huchtii Anthias alive. Very loagy. Floated 20 minutes then dropped into QT. He recovered but clearly winter shipping is extra risk.

Nina51
01/25/2015, 09:11 AM
unless it's something i simply can't live w/o, i won't have livestock shipped in the winter after losing 2 possum wrasses to the cold/delays last year.

i've been to the local pet store 3 times to pick up a few ghost shrimp, treats for my hawkfish and wrasses. i was told that every single shipment for the past month has been doa so they won't be getting any until spring.

ca1ore
01/30/2015, 05:52 PM
unless it's something i simply can't live w/o, i won't have livestock shipped in the winter after losing 2 possum wrasses to the cold/delays last year.

That's pretty much where I am. Too many shipping losses during the really cold months. But there's always that one .....

birdfish
02/05/2015, 10:06 PM
Besides airline perishable embargoes, it completely depends on the shipper. There are shippers that won't use more than two heat packs in a box no matter where or when. We often use 4-6 in winter to cold areas depending temps. Good shippers watch the weather closely and know what and how to do it right. I've shipped Alaska, MN, NH, etc. in Jan. and Feb. without issues. We use 40+ hour heat packs, not the one day cheapies, in case something gets stuck on the way, especially important for connection flights. The airlines are often overly sensitive to freezing with their embargoes. Heat packs can't get wet and have to stay above certain temps or they quit burning. Besides a delay, a loss due to cold is simply a shipper that doesn't know what he's doing. A heat pack raises temps in a box about 10 dF per heat pack, use 6 long-burn ones and there are no issues. Yes it costs $5-10 more for the shipper, and this often sadly is why there are cold losses. Not because it can't be done. A number of shippers in LA ship every week, everywhere, without issues. Then lots of others have problems. Some have problems in good weather. It is not the air temps.

warmly,

3FordFamily
02/05/2015, 10:14 PM
I have ordered a lot since christmas and they've all been fine. Styrofoam keeps temp well especially when you add heat packs. The more bags of fish the better the temperature holds.

solaris11
02/06/2015, 06:39 PM
I'm just starting my tank, I live in Northern Ontario Canada....haven't inquired to sellers but I don't planning on buying livestock through shipments in the winter....I was paranoid driving 2 clowns, a peppermint shrimp and some CUC 3 hrs in the winter :-P

murdock84
02/14/2015, 02:58 PM
I bought all my stuff local so far. I didn't want to risk shipping things in the cold and dealing with heat packs and possible shipping delays during snow storms. There are things I saw on Live Aquaria that I liked but they will come again.

Breadman03
02/14/2015, 03:32 PM
I just got a Divers Den delivery yesterday. 0 degree temps outside and 75 in the box. There was a fistful of heat packs and everything was in 5 layers of plastic bags. I was about to break out a chainsaw to get through!

tkeracer619
02/22/2015, 09:55 AM
I just had a shipment held in indiana overnight. The boxes sat on the tarmac. Fish showed up a day late and 50 degrees. They were all lethargic and one was doa.

I knew they weren't going to come in at temp so I put a bunch of saltwater in the fridge the night before.

I matched my qt to their bag water, switched them over without acclimation, then slowly brought the fish back up to temp. One fish who was doa is now swimming in the tank. Zero fish losses, did lose a coral and some inverts.

Without that 50 degree saltwater in their QT I doubt they would have survived in their bags as the temp increased too much ammonia, too little oxygen. IME it can be better than mid summer shipping. I didn't expect my fedex order from cali to go to indiana in route to colorado or it wouldn't have been shipped. I'm not sure shippers can predict the ridiculousness of the shipping companies all the time.

Huge blizzard and ice storm blankets the east half of the country.... lets route all of our packages through that hub this week!

jason2459
02/22/2015, 10:53 AM
HA! wow that is crazy they would do that. I try and order online in the Spring and Falls. I'm waiting on spring to come now to get a couple orders in from Florida.