PDA

View Full Version : Getting fed up with Ecotech, Reeflink and Vortech

TheGrog
01/09/2015, 05:38 PM
I just purchased a new Reeflink to link my Radions and Vortech pumps. I have spent the last 4 HOURS trying to get things up and running. So far, the only thing accomplished is that I have wasted 4 hours of my time.
Their online help FAQ's are useless, every time I try to update the pumps, I get a flashing blue and red and locking up requiring hard restart (mentioned NOWHERE on their site),my EcoSmart Live still says "OFFLINE" even though it recognized the Reeflink and it has "excellent" signal, my Radions can only be adjusted via USB, the Radions do not even link to the Vortech pumps, and nothing seems to want to connect! I have run the Reeflink setup about half a dozen times and it always says "unable to connect to EcoSmart Live"--via wireless or Ethernet--Even though when I log into EcoSmart it shows it active!
Tried calling them and no answer. (time zone, Friday and weather I guess). Emailed them and got a 2 sentence answer saying "I logged into your profile and your ReefLink is showing that you are connected." Then told me (a 2 sentence instruction) how to update the pumps (see above problem with flashing lights). Thanks. No help there!
After over a thousand dollars spent, thinking of trashing it all and switching brands.
Any suggestions? :headwally::headwally:

bmullikin1
01/09/2015, 06:05 PM
make sure your using google chrome, ck ecotech marines reefcentral link under the sponsor forums, lots of good info, i have all my mp40 and radions linked w each other using reeflink w no problems

TheGrog
01/09/2015, 06:15 PM
Tried that. Same issues. The one time I got it to try and detect via wireless, got a time out. Followed instructions and still nothing

[WDT]TardFarmer
01/09/2015, 10:26 PM
It's a pita but this is how I got mine running.

Also when upgrading your vortechs, make sure when you plug in the power that you are holding down the buttons at the sametime. I was having issues upgrading as I would plug in the power and then hold down the buttons, thinking I was fast enough. Nope...

1) Log out of ESL
2) turn off the reeflink by removing the power
3) turn on the reeflink
4) turn off all radions and all vortechs and remove from power
5) sign into ecosmart live
6) take one vortech individually power it on and then do a reset on the vortech ( hold mode and set after it turned on until flashing red white and blue then hold mode till red and purple, then hold set and the vortech will reset)
7) do this for all your vortechs, then remove the power from all of them again with the radions still off
8) now do the update firmware again per each individual vortech and after each one is complete and ESL prompts you do upgrade another vortech say no.
9) Then go to add devices via wireless, add the vortech you just updated ( so the power must stay on after the firmware update) rename the pump so you know hwich one is which.
10) repeat steps 8) and 9) for each for vortech making sure to turn them off after you place them in your ESL aquarium
11) It is a long process, but this is how i got it to work

TheGrog
01/10/2015, 01:13 PM
Thanks

tried that and every combination of that. The best I get is a flashing red and blue on one and a flashing red and green on the other when I try to update firmware.

Unless I hear something from Ecotech and get this resolved, will be pitched and new brand pursued.

TheGrog
01/10/2015, 03:17 PM
Update.

Tried accessing ESL via my iPhone app. Was able to update firmware on ONE Vortech! Other one does not want to update. Problem is that now ESL still does not see the Vortech that updated.

On the plus side, I now have control over my Radions via the app!

Still considering switching. Any help/ideas?

d2mini
01/10/2015, 09:49 PM
Still considering switching. Any help/ideas?

Yes, call first thing monday morning and talk to a CS rep.
They should get you fixed right up, even if it means remotely logging into your computer.

And remember the old saying... "you'll catch more flys with honey than vinegar". ;)

TheGrog
01/11/2015, 03:55 PM
And remember the old saying... "you'll catch more flys with honey than vinegar". ;)

Planning on calling Monday afternoon after work. I know, but hard not to get frustrated when nothing works as it should.

TheGrog
01/12/2015, 04:30 PM
Got home too late to call.

Things are even worse. Now I cannot even set master-slave relationship as one flashes red and blue when I try and now the other one will not even switch modes!!! So one I can switch modes, but it works independently and the other is only on or off!

Things just keep getting worse!

skiwez
01/12/2015, 05:00 PM
Was in the same boat as you, and it took multiple phone calls and updates before it was corrected. The only thing that prevented me from throwing $2k worth of equipment through a wall was the fact that I had no choice. Eventually it got sorted out, had to take several deep breathes. Customer service is very good and the people you will deal with genuinely want to help, but i feel for products that cost as much as they do you should not need customer service. Also the fact that you generally have to be present at the tank to fix and trouble shoot makes it a problem when customer service is only open 9 to 5 when most people are working their own jobs. Keeping my fingers crossed - everything is set-up just the way I want it and I have not touched any of the setting for fear that there will be some sort of issue.

Jason Weldon
01/14/2015, 05:25 PM
I also had a hard time updating my mp40. I had to move the controller as far away from the tank as the cords would allow to get away from the other WiFi/RF devices. My reeflink worked better after i hooked it to my router via Ethernet cable.

TheGrog
01/15/2015, 07:00 PM
I also had a hard time updating my mp40. I had to move the controller as far away from the tank as the cords would allow to get away from the other WiFi/RF devices. My reeflink worked better after i hooked it to my router via Ethernet cable.

Also tried that. Via cable (which is upstairs), next to them, across room, you name it. Nothing.

Traded a few emails and going to call them tomorrow. Sucks that their help hours only business hours. Some of us have jobs to support our reef habit!

EcoTech Support
01/17/2015, 08:34 AM
Also tried that. Via cable (which is upstairs), next to them, across room, you name it. Nothing.

Traded a few emails and going to call them tomorrow. Sucks that their help hours only business hours. Some of us have jobs to support our reef habit!

Wireless VorTech updates are very susceptible to RF interference. The best thing to do is make sure that you have only one pump powered on at a time (the one you plan on updating). If the update continues to fail, try moving the ReefLink and/pump driver around until you find a combination that works. If you have Radions, you should also power them down during the VorTech update(s). That will limit our RF traffic as much as possible.

TheGrog
01/19/2015, 01:58 PM
Update:
Was on the phone (last Friday) with tech support and looks like the firmware update was corrupted or incomplete on both controllers. They sending me two new ones. Will see if this does anything. Stay tuned.