PDA

View Full Version : Help please! First time dosing and i stuffed up

Mightyfish
01/10/2015, 03:23 AM
I bought Aqua Vitro line products yesterday and did my first time manual dosing but now i have a very cloudy tank its like snowing inside. First of all i dosed the mag product called Ion. I dosed an amount aimed to raise mag by 25ppm. I dosed slowly in high flow area since i was doing it manually. About 8 hours later i dosed calcium, an amount to aim to raise 25ppm. Today i read from Aqua vitro support that i can dose up to 5 times recommended dosage per day and also read that i can dose up to 100ppm mag per day, therefore, i dosed another mag to raise another 65ppm. Suddenly the tank water went cloudy. My heater is off at the moment because temperature is got in Australia at the moment so i couldnt see any precipitation on it.

What can i do now? Do i need to do large water change or will water clear itself? Are my corals in danger now? Please help

Docdiggy
01/10/2015, 05:38 AM
A water change is always good. Did you test your levels after this?

dkeller_nc
01/10/2015, 09:17 AM
What you may be seeing is a calcium sulfate precipitate. Presuming that the AquaVitro magnesium product is "balanced", it would contain both magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate. If your water was excessively high in calcium, you could get a calcium sulfate precipitate when a lot of the mag supplement was dosed.

However, you'd have to have dosed a very large amount of Ca and Mg supplements to have this happen. I'd carefully examine the calculations and/or measurements you made to dose the tank - I suspect an error somewhere.

And then, as DocDiggy suggests, test your water (do this immediately). If your water's off the charts for Ca & Mg, you've also likely severely dropped the alkalinity, which may really stress your inhabitants. A series of 3-4 25% water changes spaced a day apart would be recommended.

Mightyfish
01/10/2015, 05:20 PM
Thanks guys. However, i am super confused now. Just did some test to compare to yesterday after dosing first round of mag and cal (snow storm happened after second round of mag dosing ).

Before second round of mag dosing: ph 8.2. Cal 410ppm, 9.5dkh and mag 1020ppm.
Today testing: ph is about the same 8.2, Cal 395ppm, 9.8dkh and mag 1080ppm. Test kit is Red sea. Temperature is about the same in the past two days. I am totally lost now.

Could it be baterial boom? This aqua vitro calcium product is a mixture of cal chloride and gluconate-complexed calcium. Would yhe gluconate componet caused snow storm bacteria boom?

dkeller_nc
01/11/2015, 11:57 AM
Would yhe gluconate componet caused snow storm bacteria boom?

Yes, it certainly could. Personally, I'd discontinue using the product and go purchase some dry magnesium chloride from either Bulk Reef Supply or your local drugstore and make your own magnesium supplement.

bertoni
01/11/2015, 01:21 PM
The gluconate-based calcium supplement I used for a bit enough trouble that I pitched it. In my case, it was cyanobacteria.