PDA

View Full Version : Radion XR30 over a 30x30x20 cube

DexterOne
01/10/2015, 08:38 AM
Hello,

I'm wondering if one Radion would be enough for a cube of this dimension. I was planning to get the RMS kit so the light would be 8 inch above the water.

Will I be able to place corals anywhere I want in the tank?

Do I need to get the wide angle TIR Lenses?

Thx.

james30ct
01/10/2015, 12:45 PM
I would think the only place that would lose a little light would be the outside 3" which probably wouldn't have corals anyway

DexterOne
01/10/2015, 12:57 PM
With the wide angle lenses or the original lenses?

d2mini
01/10/2015, 12:57 PM
No, you will want two.
My 36" cube (the one in their marketing pics) was turned 45 degrees and I needed 3 to get decent coverage.
Original lenses.

Mark426
01/10/2015, 02:08 PM
What d2 said. Even if you keep things more towards the center the shadowing will drive you nuts (and your corals too).

DexterOne
01/10/2015, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Have anyone experienced the wide lenses? Will it help me to stay with only one Radion?
I would like to not buy 2 radions, a little expensive in the end ;)

If not possible at all, what is the best lighting options for a tank with those dimensions?

kellerexpress
01/10/2015, 09:11 PM
1 of the Gen 3 pro with wide angle lens will cover just fine. If you look around there are plenty of people running them on 93g cubes, which measure 30x30x24

d2mini
01/10/2015, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Have anyone experienced the wide lenses? Will it help me to stay with only one Radion?
I would like to not buy 2 radions, a little expensive in the end ;)

If not possible at all, what is the best lighting options for a tank with those dimensions?

Yes, i've had the wide angles.
They will definitely spread the light farther and the tank will APPEAR to be lit more evenly. The problem is that the angle of the light is still coming from the center of the tank, like an upside down V. So the coral on the left side of your tank will get light on their right sides, but that light won't wrap far enough around the coral, so you will get odd growth patterns and areas of your sps will be bald. Getting two units will get more of the light directly overhead, allowing more light spread around your coral.

Raising it higher will help, you just need to jack up the intensity.
But I'd still get two.

DexterOne
01/10/2015, 10:47 PM
Yes, i've had the wide angles.
They will definitely spread the light farther and the tank will APPEAR to be lit more evenly. The problem is that the angle of the light is still coming from the center of the tank, like an upside down V. So the coral on the left side of your tank will get light on their right sides, but that light won't wrap far enough around the coral, so you will get odd growth patterns and areas of your sps will be bald. Getting two units will get more of the light directly overhead, allowing more light spread around your coral.

Raising it higher will help, you just need to jack up the intensity.
But I'd still get two.

Ok so I guess to help the budget I'd be ok to start with one and get a second one down the line :)

Thx everyone for your help, appreciated!

Vapour1ze
03/10/2015, 01:58 PM
Take it from me! I've had a G3 pro over my 93 cube the last 6 months, bad shading! Bad! I bought the wide angles two weeks ago, yea it's more lit but not enough to fix shading!

I am buying two Kessil A160WE's to supplerment angle down sides with the radion g3 pro in the center.

Trust me, you'll want to do the same. One is NOT enough.

EDIT: Unless you plan on not keeping SPS, then who cares, softies and LPS will be fine.

If you want SPS, get two.

DieselJunkie
03/10/2015, 02:48 PM
I would really listen to the advice here.

One ANY led is not enough. A single light source, regardless of the spread of light causes shadowing.

Corals (any) will struggle with a single light source. You will spend countless hours playing with your light thinking it is the spectrum, or brightness or length of the day that is prohibiting growth. - It wont be.

I have never had anything other than LED's in the 3 years I have been in this hobby. Even my frag tank and refugium have LED's.

If the price tag of the Radions is too steep, either pick up some used (when they pop up)

Pick up a handful of Kessils and save for the Radions, or supplement the radion.

mordibv
03/10/2015, 03:14 PM
I would look at 2 hydra 26's since the price is close . If your into DIY maybe look at the Aurora kits , Lumia 5.2 kits . They would look close to factory made if placed in a Asis 618 heatsink.