PDA

View Full Version : Quantity vs Intensity on LED systems

Squeaky
01/10/2015, 02:22 PM
Now, this may have been answered before,so I appologize if it has but I am wondering about LED systems and corals. I do know that I have been told my reef lighting system is not sufficient for certain corals etc (I have a 32" 128 LED light system that only has 1W LEDs on a 30 gallon standard tank). My question is, if I were to buy a second unit for my tank, maybe 24" (Since I am an idiot and didn't actually measure my tank the first time and it hangs over an inch on each side) would that add enough light intensity? I ask because I already have $50 invested in the first light hood, and it would only be another $40 to get a second of the same type, vs spending $100+ for a completely new system and having extra lights that I would have no need for.

Sorry I know this is up for discussion all the time I just couldn't find the specific answer to my question. As of right now I have a Button Polyp colony (Doing well), Candy Cane (doing well), Red War brain (seems to be doing well), and another moon brain (Possibly not doing well, admittedly he didn't have the best lighting). I would love to get some torch or hammer corals.

Thanks!

dnh828
01/10/2015, 02:24 PM
128 watts of LED lighting, if at 100%, would be too much for a 30 gallon tank. I don't even think you would need any optics to blast out corals. Who is telling you that isn't sufficient?

And if you mount the fixture high enough, AND if it has 90 degree (or tighter) optics, you can make a shorter fixture work. Most people don't have the space/canopy design to do that, but ymmv.

Squeaky
01/10/2015, 02:34 PM
128 watts of LED lighting, if at 100%, would be too much for a 30 gallon tank. I don't even think you would need any optics to blast out corals. Who is telling you that isn't sufficient?

And if you mount the fixture high enough, AND if it has 90 degree (or tighter) optics, you can make a shorter fixture work. Most people don't have the space/canopy design to do that, but ymmv.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-36-48-Multi-Color-LED-Aquarium-Light-Coral-Reef-Fish-Salt-Freshwater-Tank-/191377449511?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2c8efc2227

This is the system I have the 36" which is 128 LEDs. As far as who told me it wasn't enough, someone on reddit. He kept telling me to get rid of LED and get MH, since I am trying the lower energy option for my lighting I was thinking of getting another system. As of now, I just have my LEDs sitting on top of a glass hood, should I hang it from the ceiling.

(p.s. I am glad I came to the source to ask because I feel like some of the people on reddit are just blowing stuff out the *cough* yeah)

Squeaky
01/10/2015, 07:18 PM
Also, how high should I suspend my lighting if it's too powerful? I don't have a dimmer on it, it's on, off, or blue

dnh828
01/10/2015, 07:42 PM
It depends on the width of the fixture, but yeah that could bleach out the corals if you left the whites on. Does this have two different plugs or just two switches?

Do you know the brand/model of your fixture?

89Foxbody
01/10/2015, 08:47 PM
The specific model of fixture you're using would be helpful.

jedimasterben
01/10/2015, 08:47 PM
but yeah that could bleach out the corals if you left the whites on.
Please stop spreading this crap. It wasn't true a couple years ago and it is still not true today.

To the OP, what brand and model do you have now? I very highly doubt they are 1w LEDs, do you mean 0.1w?

Squeaky
01/10/2015, 08:55 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-36-48-Multi-Color-LED-Aquarium-Light-Coral-Reef-Fish-Salt-Freshwater-Tank-/191377449511?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2c8efc2227
This is the exact led system I have

jedimasterben
01/10/2015, 08:57 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-36-48-Multi-Color-LED-Aquarium-Light-Coral-Reef-Fish-Salt-Freshwater-Tank-/191377449511?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2c8efc2227his is the exact led system I have
Like I thought, they are only 0.1w each.

I would personally trash what you have and if you're dead set on getting something cheap then to get a Reefbreeders value fixture, I see them go for really cheap used. They'll at least give you much better coral coloration than any of the ebay fixtures like you've got.

Squeaky
01/10/2015, 11:25 PM
Honestly, I am probably going to just go to Petsmart tomorrow and buy one of those florescent tube hoods and see if I can swap in some of those Coralife bars

biecacka
01/10/2015, 11:36 PM
Also you could look into the rapidled kits. I'm thinking of buying one for my tank

Corey

Squeaky
01/10/2015, 11:39 PM
Also you could look into the rapidled kits. I'm thinking of buying one for my tank

Corey

I would love too but I'm trying to stay under $200, Looks like petsmart has a 3 bulb hood for $60, and I was going to do 2 10,000 k white, and a 50/50 in front which would be about $120

Squeaky
01/11/2015, 09:44 AM
Update: I picked up a T8 single bulb hood from petsmart and a 10,000k coralife bulb. If I ran this in combination with the above led hood would it be sufficient? I can always return the one I got today. I turned it on and with my main led and my hidden Marineland led I didn't see much difference, but that doesn't mean it's not helping? I went with this option because I really hate to scrap something I paid for.

Edit: they also had a 30" dual t5. Not sure if that would be stronger than the single T8

gREEF stricken
01/11/2015, 10:05 AM
Whenever possible go with T5 over T8/T2. A bit more expensive and a bit more heat but SO worth the jump in light intensity.

Update: I picked up a T8 single bulb hood from petsmart and a 10,000k coralife bulb. If I ran this in combination with the above led hood would it be sufficient? I can always return the one I got today. I turned it on and with my main led and my hidden Marineland led I didn't see much difference, but that doesn't mean it's not helping? I went with this option because I really hate to scrap something I paid for.

Edit: they also had a 30" dual t5. Not sure if that would be stronger than the single T8

Squeaky
01/11/2015, 10:15 AM
Whenever possible go with T5 over T8/T2. A bit more expensive and a bit more heat but SO worth the jump in light intensity.

Alright. I probably wont order off the net (shipping, and such), but I am going to return the hood tomorrow at Petsmart and just go to my LFS and see what they recommend. I work weekends as a waiter so hopefully I can pull in tips to help fund the new hood today!

Wazzel
01/11/2015, 10:23 AM
A T8 from petsmart is a standard output lamp for viewing a fish only tank. It is going to do little to nothing for growing corals. If you want to go floursent get a T5 high output or T12 VHO fixture. If you want to go LED get something other the what is offered at petsmart, those are for viewing only and do not have enough power for corals.

To the original question, IMO to get the most out of LED you need a long total duration with a time of high intensity. It is how I run my LED light and feel my results are good.

Fredfish
01/11/2015, 01:06 PM
I think you are going about this the wrong way. Return the T8 to petsmart and then, before you buy anything more, come back here and post some information on the tank you have (dimensions), the organisms you want to keep, and your budget expectations.

There is a lot of knowledge here and folks can help you avoid further mistakes in equipment purchases. It will also help you determine if you have the budget you need to be successful with the critters you want to keep.

Take full advantage of the collective smarts of this site. :)

Squeaky
01/11/2015, 01:28 PM
Dimensions:*30.187"L x 12.5"W x 18.75"H

What I would like to have is things along the level of a hammer coral or similar. Also a bta would be great. I have a button polyp colony, a candy cane, and two brain corals right now. Budget is $200-$300. Preferably closer to $200

Stock is two clowns and a jester goby. I also have two peppermint shrimp, 5 hermits, and two turbo snails

Fredfish
01/11/2015, 06:05 PM
With that budget for lights, you can probably go one of several ways, a T5 fixture or something like the Reefbreeders value fixture.

The value fixture is 16" long, so you may not be able to have corals on either end of the tank, say 4" (a guess on my part), but would have enough light in the middle for anything up to higher light sps.

I think that the T5 would probably cover the entire tank. I don't have experience with T5 so hopefully someone else will chime in here.

None of the corals you have mentioned need particularly high light.

biecacka
01/11/2015, 07:25 PM
With t5 though remember you will need to buy bulbs @20$+/- 5$ I think. I have never had t5 so I'm not sure of bulb price.

Corey

oceanic_180
01/11/2015, 09:13 PM
I am running 4 of the OceanRevive T247s on my 6' SPS/LPS tank. I have them turned down so they are drawing only 200 watts for the entire set. You could consider running one of these on your tank. They are only $148 right now - I paid $175 for mine over the Summer.

My SPS and LPS are all growing faster than I thought was possible.

To be fair, I did start dosing Ca, Alk and Mg when I changed my MH/VHO setup to these LEDs. It's hard to imagine that these LEDs can grow my corals faster than my old 1100 watt setup, but they certainly grow them very quickly - especially now that I'm dosing. I can see notable growth every week in all of my SPS corals (acros, stylophora, pocillopora, seriatopora, pavona). It appears that my LPS are growing quickly as well, but that is harder to measure because their size is so dependent on how happy they are.

Squeaky
01/12/2015, 10:58 AM
Final update and thanks: I just wanted to thank everyone for their help. I went to my LFS and picked up a dual T5-HO by Marquis. It's the same light they use on their Frag tank and they are where I buy my frags from

Squeaky
01/12/2015, 02:09 PM
Actually I'm mistaken, the brand is AquaticLife, the model is Marquis

Fredfish
01/12/2015, 05:45 PM
OK, so two 24" 24w tubes?

That should work for the corals you have.

Squeaky
01/12/2015, 06:48 PM
OK, so two 24" 24w tubes?

That should work for the corals you have.
Yeah, one 10K and the other bulb is a 420n? I dunno what that means but that's what it came with

oceanic_180
01/12/2015, 08:42 PM
I was asked how I had my lights configured over my tank, so I figured I'll make a new thread and post a picture.

b7fig
01/14/2015, 12:59 PM
The T5 setup you purchased will be much better than the Ebay LED fixture you were running. Throw that thing in the trash!