PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading tank questions

sfelman
01/10/2015, 04:09 PM
So I have been slowly gathering equipment and putting it all together.

What I currently have running:
A 20 gallon reef tank running that has about 2 inches live sand and 20 lbs live rock with some corals(frogspawn, blastomussa, mushrooms, acans, kenya tree) and a few fish(2 ocellaris clowns, 1 neon dottyback).
Also have a heater that is rated for tanks up to 75 gallons that will be used with new tank and an AquaticLife Internal Mini Skimmer 115. Also had a Marine land bio-wheel power filter 100 for some extra flow and carbon filtration but that decided to die on me earlier this week.
Lighting is a Current USA TrueLumen PadLite LED.

My new system includes:
46 gallon aquarium
~12 gallon sump with compartment for skimmer/lifereef overflow input/heater, a compartment for reefugium(10"hx9.5"wx15"l), and a compartment for AutoTopoff.com double switch controller and eheim compact 3000+ return pump.

My current questions are:
What kind of lighting fixture should i get? My current thought is to get this fixture:http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/36-ati-sunpower-high-output-t5-light-fixture.html
The 4x39w one. It is quite expensive however.

How much live rock should i get from BRS for new tank as well as live sand?(was thinking of doing 10 lbs tonga shelf, 20 lbs BRS reef saver dry aquarium live rock, as well as including 15 lbs live rock from 20g. 20 lb oolite ocean direct live sand.)

I was also thinking of putting my sand from the 20 g tank into the reefugium with some chaeto and copepods since the sand has a good amount of detritus in it. Is this a good idea?

Also, for the reefugium, should I just use the leds from my 20 g setup? Will they be strong enough to grow chaeto?

Thank you in advance for your input/ideas.

potterjon
01/11/2015, 12:43 PM
Chaeto just needs a regular old daylight bulb. The lights for the chaeto do not need to be expensive at all. When I was growing it I just used a clamp lamp fixture with cfl bulb although I do not remember the exact spectrum. I know that doesn't answer all your questions, but maybe someone else will chime in.