PDA

View Full Version : As suggested-FTS

cncguy
01/11/2015, 06:11 PM
As suggested from my post last week, I'm committed to not do anything to the tank other than weekly/bi-weekly water changes, and see if things turn around and maybe start growing. It was also suggested I take a pic now, and then in 2 months. So here it is! Any comments would be appreciated. The only thing that seems to have grown at all, is the giant Haitian anenome!! And yes, there is a small clown swimming in there. Anyone see any obvious problems with placement or compatibility? And there is one other powerhead on the left, just not in the pic. One other question on next purchase- heater controller, or MP40?????!!!!

3dees
01/12/2015, 12:12 PM
that's about all I do for my tank other than top offs every morning. I don't have a sump. hob skimmer, two Jeboa powerheads, and two Chinese dimmable led units. 16 months and so far my softie/lps tank is doing great. yeah, it can be done.

dkeller_nc
01/12/2015, 02:23 PM
A couple of thoughts:

A week's not anywhere near long enough to see growth. So hang in there, you want to assess the health of your animals over at least a 6 week period to determine if you're doing the right things.

Take some shots of the trumpets that you mention having issues with (white spots underneath?). To do this, turn off your blue bulbs on your fixture if you can; the pictures will be much more clear.

ReefsandGeeks
01/12/2015, 02:26 PM
I've always had my hand in my tank doing this or that, but went on vacation for 2 weeks, having someone stop by every 4 or 5 days to double check sylinity, add 1ml vodka, and 1ml seachem iodide. When I came back my tank was covered in algae (as expected as I started having problems with film algae before I left) but upon cleaning the glass, the coral had grown like never before. Now I'm a beleiver that the stability makes a huge difference. I'm gonna have to learn to keep my hands out of the water and just watch.

When I was constantly in my tank, by one zoa frag would grow maybe 1 new head a week, and when i got back, I had 6 new heads grown. i couldn't belive it. I took close up pics of all of the coral before hand so I could more easily see the differances when I came back, and in anticipation of problems that may have arised.