PDA

View Full Version : possible long distance move

ReefsandGeeks
01/12/2015, 10:00 AM
It's possible that sometime this summer I may need to move long distance (1600ish miles) for work. it would be a 2 day trip, driving all day stoping to sleep for a night, then driving the rest of the way. Total time on the road would be about 36 hours or so. Would it be possible for me to move my reef tank with coral and fish that far, or would I be better off selling off livestock and maybe also my equipment and startin over from scratch?

I have a 40 gallon tank with half a dozen fish and about a dozen coral, all frags still. a couple leathers, some sps, and a hammer. I don't know how the coral or fish would do with such a long move, plus I'd have to have the livestock out of the tank before tearing down the tank, and get the tank back up and running before putting the livestock back in. I'm sure I'd have to re-cycle the tank as well, though hopefuy with lots of live rock the cycle wouldn't be too bad.

Currently, I'm thinking it would be best to sell off the livestock so it doens't have to be risked on such a long jurney especialy since it would be hard to keep their temps up during the trip. and am on the fence with either selling most of my equipment and buying something used after the move, or bringing my setup with me.

This is all pending me moving for work, which seems likely at this time, but I woudln't know untill closer to that time. Any advice anyone can share about moving with a tank would be apriciated. Thanks

d2mini
01/12/2015, 10:02 AM
Yes, I agree that with a long move like that, you will be much better off selling all livestock.
Less stress on both them and you.
This way you can take your time setting up at the new place, letting the tank cycle, start fresh, etc.
The chances of you making it through the move with no losses is slim to none and you'll wish you sold it all off.

Good luck!

andrewkw
01/12/2015, 10:03 AM
How about you find someone local to hold your stuff and have them ship it to you airport to airport once you arrive at your new home, or even several days later.

ReefsandGeeks
01/12/2015, 10:38 AM
I kinda figured it would be tough to keep the livestock. I might be able to find someone local to hold them for me, but that does seem like a hassel for someone I don't realy know. Unfortionatly I don't have any local reefers I know. I could probly find someone if I realy tried. I'd like to say I'm not attached to my fish and that I can just get more, but I am attached to them. of course, just like getting a new puppy when your dog passes away, I'm sure I'd be good once I got my tank up and running with new livestock as well. As long as I could find someone local who would take good care of the fish I'd be okay with that.

Also, with the long move, if I had the extra $ it would be nice to upgrade my tank if I were to sell my current setup. I'd just have to figure out what equipment I have that is worth keeping and try to sell the rest localy. It just sucks how much of a loss you take when you sell your aquarium. I bought all of my equipment new, so when the time comes to sell I'm sure I'll be disapointed with how much I can get for it. I've seen what they sell for used, and it's nothing compaired to new price. Of course, I'll end up buying used as well from now on so that wouldn't be so bad. hmm...lots of stuff to think about

Sk8r
01/12/2015, 10:51 AM
My advice, sadly, is to sell. An online ad may get a buyer for the whole system, maybe somebody you could help set up, so you know they started right. I've done it, including the long move, and the things that turn up on the other end of the move can be legion---delays, weather, clumsy moving help (companies often hire offloaders from the local labor pool) and when you arrive, chasing around after your utilities and things that don't fit, don't work, and so on, is a full-time occupation, not made better by living things depending on you. I once transported fish from Washington DC to Oklahoma City by car---made it, and lost them all when a makeshift air line slipped its fastener while I was dealing with other problems, the night before their tank would be ready. I did a cross-town same day move, and lost most everything due to the promised sump arriving, turning out to be a mis-order (wrong size), and I was left with everything in buckets and no way to set up the system...learned a ton on that one, too. Mostly--- It's better to sell and do it again.

cody6766
01/12/2015, 11:13 AM
It's doable, but it takes work. I made an 18hr drive, 30ish hrs in the bags, and didn't lose a thing. I bagged like soft coals together, individually bagged LPS and SPS, put LR in 5g buckets with tank water, made about 10g of new salt water and 10g of RO/DI. Coal and fish went into a cooler to keep temps stable, which worked for a Feb and Oct move. When i go where i was going, I warned up some tank water and out the coral and fish into a spare tank. Anything that holds water would work. I set up the tank, worked the scape, made sure everything stayed stable over a few days, then added the animals.

A 36hr drive is more involved, and is consider selling your livestock if i find myself in your shoes. Maybe try to take a few frags, but don't move something that you can't stand to kill. I'd definitely put the rock in buckets with water to keep it from having to re-cycle the tank.

ReefsandGeeks
01/12/2015, 11:35 AM
Alright, I apriciate the advice guys. I'll plan on selling livestock if I end up doing the move. I have time to think about wether I'd want to sell my setup before moving and trying to upgrade, or if I want to transport my stuff with me and set up what I have now. I'll see how much extra cash I have when the time comes and make a decision from there. It would be a good oportunity to upgrade and do things more so the way I wished i would have from the beginning. This is my first saltwater tank, so it was a learning experiance. canister filter, tall tank vs breeder things I had no idea about when I started. At least now I know what I'm doing and am confident that I can do it right when I do it again. If nothing else I at least have a much better idea than when I started this tank.

cjm5283
01/12/2015, 12:41 PM
So sell the livestock. What do you recommend with the coral and live rock?

ReefsandGeeks
01/12/2015, 01:13 PM
I had assumed coral counted as livestock. I'd imagine it would have a hard time during transportation as well. Plus when I get moved in I'm still giong to have a cycle on my tank, which I'm not confident my coral would make it through. The hardy ones may survive? but I wouldn't expect the SPS to have much luck. I think the live rock would be fine, but not certain about that either. I could put it in buckets, but would be difficult to keep warm during the trip.

gone fishin
01/12/2015, 03:04 PM
I moved from Connecticut to Wisconsin 4 years ago. I sold all the live stock and took the equipment and rock with me. I have never had a move go according to plan. It was just to much of a headache to try and unload the truck then setup the tank. It was much easier to get everything unpacked then set back up at my own pace. It took a couple months but well worth it IMO. Good luck on the move.