PDA

View Full Version : Hannah checker feedback...

gREEF stricken
01/12/2015, 11:52 AM
Hey all, I was looking the other day and noticed on BRS. That Hannah makes a number of different parameter checkers.

NO3(H/L range)
PO4(UL/L/UH ranges)
CA
ALK
etc....

Any who have used any of these, chime in and let us know if they are worth the cash?
Have heard lots of good feedback on the ALK...

Thx
GS

slief
01/12/2015, 12:05 PM
I use the HI 736 ULR Phosphorus tester for Po4. It's much more accurate than the standard HI713 phosphate checker. The Phosphorus reads in PPB (parts per billion) vs the Phosphate reading in PPM and has a smaller error of margin. The ULR is better suited for the low range that we are aiming for.

Once you get down to .04-.07 the 713 may read 0 where as the 736 will give you a fairly accurate number. With the 736, you take the number and multiply it by 3.066 to convert phosphorus to phosphate than divide by 1000 to get PPM that we typically expect to see.

I've also used the calcium and alk tests. They are decent as well but the 736 is my go to tester as Po4 is my biggest concern.

disc1
01/12/2015, 12:18 PM
Hey all, I was looking the other day and noticed on BRS. That Hannah makes a number of different parameter checkers.

NO3(H/L range)
PO4(UL/L/UH ranges)
CA
ALK
etc....

Any who have used any of these, chime in and let us know if they are worth the cash?
Have heard lots of good feedback on the ALK...

Thx
GS

I've never seen a nitrate tester. Are you sure you're not looking at the nitrite tester?

tmz
01/12/2015, 12:27 PM
I use the alk ckecker . It's fine.

For PO4 I use an older full sized 713 colorimeter by hanah and have for many years with acceptable results for my needs.

shellsea
01/12/2015, 03:02 PM
I like the alk and occasionally use the PO4, also bought the Ca but have struggled getting accurate readings with it. Good luck.

mwminer
01/12/2015, 03:11 PM
I've never seen a nitrate tester. Are you sure you're not looking at the nitrite tester?

They do make a nitrate tester but it's for freshwater only.

gREEF stricken
01/12/2015, 04:18 PM
It appears this is correct. I just didn't notice. I apologize for not looking closer. Not to Jack this thread although I am the OP...is there a preferred test kit for nitrates? I know API is generally not accurate enough for most refers.

GS
They do make a nitrate tester but it's for freshwater only.

bertoni
01/12/2015, 04:58 PM
The Salifert and IO kits seemed to generate reasonable results for me. There have been a few published series of tests of nitrate kits, and I think those two brands did well in the ones I read, but it's been a long time, and the test kits might have changed.

Stackemdeep
01/12/2015, 05:24 PM
I considered the Hanna for Alk but when I calculated the cost per test, and I like to test KH a lot, well, it made more sense to me to use the Salifert. Sometimes I test daily and the reagents would add up over the course of a few months.

johnike
01/12/2015, 05:34 PM
I use the Alk and Calcium checkers and like both.

Scranton
01/12/2015, 05:37 PM
I've been looking at the alk tester is it accurate enough?

outssider
01/12/2015, 06:38 PM
I've been looking at the alk tester is it accurate enough?

It's a lot better than trying to read colors. It seems to be accurate, but then again, how do we really know. It is repeatable, you can do the test twice in a row and get nearly exactly the same number. When I switch reagents I always check the last of the batch with the first of the new, it's always within a few digits of being the same.

GainesvilleReef
01/12/2015, 07:11 PM
I use the HI 736 ULR Phosphorus tester for Po4. It's much more accurate than the standard HI713 phosphate checker. The Phosphorus reads in PPB (parts per billion) vs the Phosphate reading in PPM and has a smaller error of margin. The ULR is better suited for the low range that we are aiming for.

Once you get down to .04-.07 the 713 may read 0 where as the 736 will give you a fairly accurate number. With the 736, you take the number and multiply it by 3.066 to convert phosphorus to phosphate than divide by 1000 to get PPM that we typically expect to see.

I've also used the calcium and alk tests. They are decent as well but the 736 is my go to tester as Po4 is my biggest concern.

Could you explain the 3.066 conversion factor?

bertoni
01/12/2015, 11:36 PM
The ULR Phosphorus Checkr reads in ppm of phosphorus (P-PO<sub>4</sub>) whereas the other hobbyist test kits read in ppm PO<sub>4</sub>. So you need to multiply by about three to make the numbers comparable.

firemountain
01/13/2015, 04:58 PM
I use Alk, Ca, and the ULR Phosphorus checkers. They have all been accurate for me torte, and easy to use.

slief
01/13/2015, 05:58 PM
Could you explain the 3.066 conversion factor?

The ULR Phosphorus Checkr reads in ppm of phosphorus (P-PO<sub>4</sub>) whereas the other hobbyist test kits read in ppm PO<sub>4</sub>. So you need to multiply by about three to make the numbers comparable.

^^^ What he said.^^^ :thumbsup:

You are converting phosphorus to phosphate in parts per billion. This the 3.066 to convert Phosphorus to Po4. Then you divide by 1000 to convert PPB to PPM.

2_zoa
01/13/2015, 09:57 PM

You mean the ULR reads in PPB not PPM. Right?

What's the extra P? (P-PO<sub>4</sub>)

bertoni
01/13/2015, 10:54 PM
Yes, it's in ppb. Sigh! P-PO<sub>4</sub> means it reads in units of phosphorus contained in phosphate. The meter detects phosphate, but the reading includes only the phosphorus in that phosphate.

TangingOut
01/13/2015, 10:56 PM

It's the same to just multiply by 0.003066

waxhawreefer
01/14/2015, 03:47 PM
I use the alk-which is easier than the red sea test-hard to tell the right color of orange, and the phosphate-great, and the calcium-can be hard until u get use to it, also buy extra reagents at the same time for all, cheaper that way!!

Reefer07
01/15/2015, 11:52 AM
I like the alk and occasionally use the PO4, also bought the Ca but have struggled getting accurate readings with it. Good luck.

I agree, my calc checker has been readin 600+ and Im not sure if its that or my tank really is outta whack.
Alk one is awesome, easy and accurate.
The Po4 one is really good too because of accuracy. On a lot of regular test kits Po4 colors are hard to distinguish.
My only complaints with any of the kits is the damn powder reagnts. Sometimes its a pain getting it all out and into the cuvette. Therefore I dont really know how accurate it is.
I have the Ph thing too. Very easy.
I would recommend the alk and Po4 one but stick with salifert or Red sea pro for calc.

tmz
01/15/2015, 12:21 PM
My only complaints with any of the kits is the damn powder reagnts. Sometimes its a pain getting it all out and into the cuvette. Therefore I dont really know how accurate it is.

I'm not sure it matters if you miss a little of the powder.

One way to get it all in the curvette with relative ease, though, is to snip the top of the packet off with scissors. Then gently pull the seams( on the sides) apart leaving the powder on a rectangular piece of the foil. Crease the foil lenghtwise and use it as a funnel to get all of the powder to the curvette.