PDA

View Full Version : Will my fish/invertebrates eat my macroalgae?

erik7281
01/12/2015, 02:45 PM
i do not have a sump and I would like to add some macro algae to my main tank for decoration as well as nitrate and phosphate reduction. I have already ordered some macroalgae but did not fully research if my livestock would eat it, which what I don't want. Understand some may nibble it but I am not adding it to my tank as a source of food, as I will continue to feed my fish normal food.

I have:
2 oscelaris clownfish
1 orchid dottyback
1 Tailspot Blenny
1 purple firefish
1 striped banded sand sifting goby
1 yellow watchman goby
4 blue eyed Cardinal fish
1 tiger pistol shrimp
1 sallyfoot crab
2 Mexican turbo snails
3 cerith snails
2 sand sifting snails
8 small hermit crabs

I have ordered the following macro algae:
Chaeto
Gracilaria
Pink baby macroalgae (Heterosiphonia gibbesii)
Dead mans fingers (codium sp)
Sea lettuce Ulva lactuca

Raybee
01/13/2015, 01:06 PM
The fish look ok, but some of your inverts may cause a problem.
Edit: Missed the blenny. He will devour

It's easier for the snails to glide along the bottom/liverock and eat the algae there, but if a turbo passes the ulva, and a leaf is leaning down, that's buffet time.
The lightfood crab may decide it's much easier to chow down at the macro than scour the tank for small scraps.

It depends on how much food they have in the tank and how easy it is to get to it.
(If you want livestock resistant macros, select ones with a higher calcium content).

Let use know what happens, but my guess would be turbos and the lightfoot.

Raybee
01/13/2015, 01:10 PM
Ouch. The blenny will have party. Herbivore.
The ulva will be gone very quick.

brokereefer617
01/13/2015, 07:50 PM
Blenny and hermits will eat macro turbo snail will too

erik7281
01/13/2015, 11:42 PM
The fish look ok, but some of your inverts may cause a problem.
Edit: Missed the blenny. He will devour

It's easier for the snails to glide along the bottom/liverock and eat the algae there, but if a turbo passes the ulva, and a leaf is leaning down, that's buffet time.
The lightfood crab may decide it's much easier to chow down at the macro than scour the tank for small scraps.

It depends on how much food they have in the tank and how easy it is to get to it.
(If you want livestock resistant macros, select ones with a higher calcium content).

Let use know what happens, but my guess would be turbos and the lightfoot.

Funny or not so funny that you mention my blenny. I have not seen him in 3 days :hmm2: he is usually very active hoping around from rock to rock, i do have a lid on my tank to keep from jumping so he jus might be hiding (i hope)..i will start by adding small pieces and see what happens thanks