PDA

View Full Version : Vertex alpha 200 or RO elite 200

cugly
01/12/2015, 09:30 PM
Which one would you choose between Vertex Alpha 200 or RO elite 200..since the vertex doesn't have the red dragon pump anymore is it worth the extra few hundred. .

bayoupr
01/12/2015, 09:40 PM
Might not be the "Red Dragon" but it is still an askoll pump same as the Red Dragon. I had the RO 200 Elite and it performed great on my 180. Since I down sized I sold. Too big for a 120 IMO.

Ron99
01/12/2015, 09:41 PM
The pump in the Vertex is essentially the same as the Red Dragon. They both use the same Askoll motor block. The acrylic and PVC is also probably heavier and better built than the RO (but I admit I haven't seen the RO in the flesh). The pump on the RO also looks like another of the rebranded Jebao DC pumps. OK pump but not in the same league as the Askoll.

cugly
01/12/2015, 10:18 PM
Thanks guys the Vertex is also been proven also and the elite is to new to tell

blutang007
01/12/2015, 10:36 PM
Vertex for the win win. :rollface:

theatrus
01/12/2015, 10:47 PM
Vertex hands down.

slief
01/12/2015, 10:49 PM
The pump in the Vertex is essentially the same as the Red Dragon. They both use the same Askoll motor block. The acrylic and PVC is also probably heavier and better built than the RO (but I admit I haven't seen the RO in the flesh). The pump on the RO also looks like another of the rebranded Jebao DC pumps. OK pump but not in the same league as the Askoll.

Actually, the new Vertex Alpha no longer uses the red dragon and as far as I am aware they aren't using the Askoll either since switching from the Royal Exclusiv manufactured Alpha. They are now having the body built by another company in Germany and sourcing the pumps from China as far as I am aware. Still better than the RO DC pump IMO.

OP, is this a new skimmer or a used one? The original Alpha's are better built and have the better pump. You should confirm the motor block if it's new because the Red Dragon is by far better as you are obviously aware. Either way, this is by far a better skimmer then the RO in my humble opinion.

That said, what size tank do you have and what's you stock load? If you are planning on running this on your 120, I think this skimmer will be way oversized and not perform well.The Alpha is by far a better quality skimmer but it's also underrated meaning they say a max of 300 gallons for the Alpha 200 and even that may be conservative. If your display isn't 150-200 gallons minimum and I'd say 200, this skimmer won't be consistent for you. Especially with a light load. It has a very large neck diameter and needs sufficient DOC's to keep it happy. If not, it will skim great for a few days to a week and then slow down until they build back up at which point will start producing again until it exhausts them. You may end up having to run it wet to get it reasonably consistent and then have to deal with occasional overflows as a result.

Great skimmers but like I said, they are under rated as far as tank sizing goes and prefer heavier loads. If you do decide to get it and have a smaller tank, you could bring the collection cup to an acrylic store and see if you could find a smaller acrylic cylinder that is just small enough to slip into the neck to reduce the necks ID. They would need to add a lip to the top so it doesn't slide all the way through and fall into the skimmer but that would help in compensating for the large neck diameter and should improve it's consistency under lower loads.

cugly
01/12/2015, 11:43 PM
It will be new that's why the comparison its gonna be for an sps dominated tank heavy load ..if I get the vertex it would be just a little more than elite..thanks for the input guys. If they make the pump in china for the vertex then how much better would that be compared to the RO..man It would have been an easy decision if it was a red dragon pump for sure.

slief
01/12/2015, 11:54 PM
Why not look at a Bubble King Double Cone 200 or Double Cone 250? Or a Supermain 200? Those a major improvement over both the skimmers you are considering. Heck, there have even been a couple Supermarins in the for sale section recently that were great deals.

cugly
01/13/2015, 12:41 AM
Ya seen those I was actually considering the bubble king

bayoupr
01/13/2015, 07:22 AM
FYI, Vertex's Alpha Models are still using the Askoll pump block. Also the Omega 200i uses the Askoll. I know, I had one.

cakemanPA
01/13/2015, 07:50 AM
I am running the Alpha 200 that I bought used. Since I replace a torn airline, the skimmer is quiet and strong. My skimate locker fills quickly. Mine does have the red dragon pump.

bezlar
01/13/2015, 08:22 AM
Just my two cents but I just took off a pov 3 on my 200 and replaced it with jns cone s 3 and could not be happier. Pov same as elite. I think the pov was just to big. The cone s is a lot quieter. Bought mine at big als pets online. They are same as aquamax.

ksed
01/13/2015, 08:41 AM
Aqua Maxx are also very well balanced skimmers.

That said the Vertex uses an Askoll motor block same as the Red Dragon. The Askoll motor block is Made in Italy. Now modification of the motor block of the RD is made by R/E in Germany. Vertex modification of the motor block I am not aware of where they do their mods, but nevertheless the motor it self is an Italian made motor. That does not change.

I would look into the 180 version of the two models mentioned above.

slief
01/13/2015, 10:07 AM
Another good option would be the ATB's..

cugly
01/13/2015, 11:03 PM
Decision just got even harder lol..

Kenmx10
01/15/2015, 08:56 PM
Since the Vertex Alpha 200 and Omega 200i have the same pump, I wonder what the difference in performance will be?

Maximus
01/28/2015, 12:54 AM
FYI, Vertex's Alpha Models are still using the Askoll pump block. Also the Omega 200i uses the Askoll. I know, I had one.

How did you like the 200? I just love the Askoll pumps.