PDA

View Full Version : Berghia Nudi Question

Jyetman
01/13/2015, 11:11 AM
Will these aptasia eaters go after yellow polyps too?

BeanMachine
01/13/2015, 11:11 AM
nope

Jyetman
01/13/2015, 11:24 AM
Where can I buy them cheap? Local Fish Stores if available = outrageous!

SnoopyDaPimp
01/13/2015, 12:27 PM
Where can I buy them cheap? Local Fish Stores if available = outrageous!

When I bought mine I had to get them online. I couldn't find any LFS in the Phoenix area that sold them. I ended up getting them from Salty Underground.

Jyetman
01/13/2015, 12:38 PM
When I bought mine I had to get them online. I couldn't find any LFS in the Phoenix area that sold them. I ended up getting them from Salty Underground.

How many did you buy can you get away with two? Afraid my coral banded shrimp is going to snack on them.

shermanator
01/13/2015, 01:18 PM
I would get 3+. From what I noticed, they bred pretty quickly and it was the offspring that really took care of the aiptasia problem. I bought them online (Inland Aquatics) and while they are crazy expensive for what they are, they were a permanent fix for aiptasia for me.

I have read people saying they remove them once all aiptasia are gone, but I rarely ever saw mine. With no aiptasia for months now, I assume mine are all dead. Alas, good job fellas.

When you put them in your tank, turn off all the flow (except return) to let them get acclimated and a foothold. I've seen people used overturned plastic cups to make sure they anchor to rocks. They don't do all that well in high flow, especially when being introduced. You want them to find one another and to mate.

SnoopyDaPimp
01/13/2015, 01:24 PM
For my 110g I got six and they handled probably 50-75 in two months. When I was done with them I gave them away to those that needed them. I didn't really see mine accept for the last few weeks once they got an inch long.

The you shrimp is on the list of things that could potentially go after them so that will have to be a judgement call on your part. Do you have a sump that he could go into while the berghia are in the tank?

Jyetman
01/13/2015, 03:31 PM
For my 110g I got six and they handled probably 50-75 in two months. When I was done with them I gave them away to those that needed them. I didn't really see mine accept for the last few weeks once they got an inch long.

The you shrimp is on the list of things that could potentially go after them so that will have to be a judgement call on your part. Do you have a sump that he could go into while the berghia are in the tank?

I have a bucket scrubber but they might crawl out into the DT. Contrary to popular reefer belief my banded shrimp gorged himself on a infestation of zoa nudis. It was the only time I petted him on his little spiny head and said, good job shrimpy!