PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton 14k 175 watt: magnetic or electronic

jimm699
01/13/2015, 06:13 PM
Hi. Have two 175 hamilton 14ks over a 75. Did have two xm 20ks. Wasn't too impressed. Like the color of hamys better. Heard you get more par out of hamys with electronic ballast? Anyone have experience with this? Seen a pretty good deal on two electronic hamilton ballasts. Is it worth the investment? Or really only gaining a couple more months on bulbs. Thanks

theatrus
01/13/2015, 06:57 PM
For efficiency alone, I wouldn't eve consider magnetic ballasts.

jimm699
01/13/2015, 07:55 PM
Theatrus; you using a 6 bulb t5 fixture? I have an ati 6 bulb fixture. Only had about 7 months and had to send back to have a relay replaced. Had the two 175 watt fixtures so put them up while the ati was being fixed. Still like the look of halides better. But it's not all about me. I'd rather corals be happy. Could go back to ati. Softies with some lps

jimm699
01/13/2015, 08:00 PM
Really not sure which way to go. Electronic ballast or ati. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

theatrus
01/13/2015, 08:32 PM
6 bulbs total, as an in hood retrofit. I am looking at moving to LED.

Kenmx10
01/13/2015, 08:32 PM
I emailed Hamilton a similar question a while back with a 400w with Radiums. Ill post their reply so you can read it. I would thing the results would be similar with 175w's but you might want to email Hamilton and see what they have to say.

The Radium bulb appears slightly more blue on the electronic ballast versus the M135 ballast.

It appears slightly more white on the M135 ballast versus the electronic ballast.

The bulb has slightly higher PAR numbers on the M135 ballast.

The electronic ballast does save electricity and runs fully silent. The M135 has a very
small, subtle noise when it initially comes on then subsides.

The electronic ballast is dimmable and you can set the output to 200 watt / 300 watt / 400 watt
or overdrive it 10% at 440 watts.

Kenmx10
01/13/2015, 08:52 PM
This link explains it nicely using radium bulbs. Im not sure if the results would be similar with the 14k but would like to know if some knows.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2405972

jimm699
01/13/2015, 08:54 PM
One website( may have been this not positive) someone said that the hamilton 14k has more par with an electronic ballast(not just a little like a lot) but the xm 20k has more par on the magnetic ballast. To me looks the about the same. Hamilton looks a little more natural to me.

jimm699
01/13/2015, 09:01 PM
This Sanjay website that everyone seems to talk about. It's saying on the hamilton 175 that magnetic gets around 30 ppdf with magnetic and almost 50 with electronic. So quess depends on which bulb you like. Sounds like a big difference. Don't really know how much of a difference to the eye and corals really is. I mean I was supposedly getting around 50 with the xm20ks. Now with the hamys only getting 30! Looks about the same to me. The hamys look a little more natural and pleasing IMO. Just for the sake of efficiency doesnt make that much since to me. A few hundred for ballast that aren't as reliable as the magnetic!? Really can't see it saving that much on power. If it's a better par for the hamys and get 6 more months from bulbs; well I guess it's worth it?!?

theatrus
01/13/2015, 09:36 PM
When I started on a smaller system I was running 250W Hamilton 14ks on an ARO Electronic Ballast (on a 55g - don't judge my overkill!). Survived for years before I moved to T5s - I still have the full setup. All in all, I was very happy with it, but really wished for the more "white" look of a mix of T5s (especially now with Purple bulbs). I also tried an XM 10k and didn't really like it.

I can't stand the 60Hz buzz, and I wanted to canopy mount the ballast, which is possible with electronic.

Mag vs electronic is somewhat like carburetor vs fuel injection - they both get gas into your cylinders. I just wish most ballasts weren't potted as I imagine the failure modes are actually easily repairable.

jimm699
01/14/2015, 03:37 AM
Theatrus; kinda think I know what you mean. Would like to see a bit more yellow from 14k? With ati bulbs don't really get that either. Still looks blue. Do you put in a 6000k or something to put a little yellow in it? Thanks
Then I worry about an algae outbreak with a 6000k. They say anything below 10k doesn't belong in a reef tank. True or crap? Lol
Would make a good full spectrum from 6000k to actinic.
What bulbs to you use? If I may ask

yeldarbj
01/14/2015, 06:58 AM
For efficiency alone, I wouldn't eve consider magnetic ballasts.

And for the buzzing sound, I wouldn't consider magnetic ballasts.

alton
01/14/2015, 07:49 AM
If you have probe start lamps use Magnetic Probe start ballast. If you have Pulse start lamps use electronic or pulse start magnetic ballast.

jda
01/14/2015, 09:50 AM
You are going to get more output with the magnetic. However, you might not need it.

Humidity can kill electronic ballasts - hood mounting might not be a great idea.

There is more than enough yellow, red and green in a 20K bulb to grow algae. 6000k bulbs just don't have as much blue for our eyes - there is still lots of blue in them.

theatrus
01/14/2015, 10:09 AM
Theatrus; kinda think I know what you mean. Would like to see a bit more yellow from 14k? With ati bulbs don't really get that either. Still looks blue. Do you put in a 6000k or something to put a little yellow in it? Thanks
Then I worry about an algae outbreak with a 6000k. They say anything below 10k doesn't belong in a reef tank. True or crap? Lol
Would make a good full spectrum from 6000k to actinic.
What bulbs to you use? If I may ask

My current mix is all ATI

2x Purple Plus
2x Blue Plus
2x Aquablue

The Aquablue has the large contribution in the red/green bands, while the Purple is probably my favorite. I used to run a GE 6500k bulb, which will really highlight any oranges and reds in your tank to blinding levels :bdaysmile:. I stopped since they were a bit harder to find at the time. The overall appearance is roughly "14k".

I haven't considered the Coral Plus yet since it wasn't available last time i bulk ordered far too many bulbs.

jimm699
01/14/2015, 11:08 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. Really appreciate it! Really don't have to do anything right now. May just sleep on it a few nights. Guess nice to have both set ups in case one fails