PDA

View Full Version : 30L (8g) Nano - fish pairs?

Nano Zef
01/13/2015, 07:01 PM
G'day folks.

I had a 4x2x2 (whatever that is in litres/gallons) reef setup about 5 years ago that was established for about 6 years and was quite beautiful even if I do say so myself. My main coral loves are Ricordias and Zoos and after enough time this tank was quite awesome. But..

.. it did become a bit more of a chore than hobby to me towards the end and then I moved house so it was easier just to sell rather than try to move everything on top of my wilting interest.

But the bug never left me and I want my beautiful Rics and Zoos back again BUT knowing I will be moving again in the future and that I don't want it to become a chore again I'm downsizing in a biiiig way - 30L Aquael, just for rics and zoos and the odd bit of livestock.

I'm conscience of not overstocking both for my benefit and I really don't want to stress out dumb animals for my enjoyment so here's my question for Nano enthusiasts.

I'd LIKE a pair of fish, preferably Yellow Clown Gobies (as I like them) maybe a Blood Red Shrimp and Hermit crab and that's about it. I've read up about how YCG can fight it out if they're not a mated pair but I'm patient enough to hang around aquarium shops to try and find a couple of YCG that are comfortable in each others company.

Anyway, what do you think of the stock I'm thinking of AND if not a pair of YCG is there another fish that would be alright as a pair in a 30l tank? Mind you I do want a PAIR of fish or not at all. Note I've ruled out Clownfish on my own account as... I don't know - TWO clowns in 30l I'll always think I'm being cruel even if they don't complain themselves.

I'm also partial to dropping fish altogether and maybe just going a pair of Blood Red Shrimp or Coral Banded Shrimp (though I worry about their antennae in such a small tank)

Any advice gratefully received.

A sea K
01/25/2015, 07:21 AM
You can do a pair of Neon Gobies. They are available for purchase as a mated pair and is the way to go. I would'nt even bother trying to pair them on your own, not worth it and its almost certain at least one will die.

A sea K
01/26/2015, 04:43 AM
A few other suitable candidates; Masked gobies, you can do as many of these as you wish with no need to obtain mated pairs, they are very small and like each others company.

Rusty gobies, can be found in pairs. Cool little fish but very cryptic, in the confines of an 8gal nano this might not be too much of an issue.

reeferaddict
01/27/2015, 12:43 AM
2 Yasha Gobies and a pistol ;)