PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate elimination

slickace17
01/14/2015, 07:02 AM
Ok so I have a 75 gallon setup with 50 lbs Carib reef rock and about 6 lbs live rock I have Carib sea live sand and my tank is about 3 almost 4 months old I check my params a few times a week and my ph 8.0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 but my nitrates are like a dang 40 almost. I feed my livestock every other day (flame hawk,two damsels,snowflake clown, blood fire shrimp) I feed my bta every 5 days a qtr piece of silverside.. I don't think I'm overfeeding but I need a way to get and keep my nitrate down wat is the best method of water changes because I am seeking to get coralline growing on the rest of my rock

slickace17
01/14/2015, 08:11 AM
Someone please help me out thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/14/2015, 08:38 AM
There are lots of good ways to reduce nitrate, including growing macroalgae, algal turf scrubbers, deep sand beds, organic carbon dosing (vodka, vinegar, biopellets, and commercial preparations), denitrators (both carbon and sulfur-based), skimming to remove organics before they break down, and more.

I'd suggest reading up on them to decide what export methods best suit your system.

miroch
01/14/2015, 10:41 AM
What is your sump setup? Skimmer, do you run bioballs, filter socks? How is the flow in your tank, any dead spots?

waxhawreefer
01/14/2015, 03:34 PM
I was just the opposite a year ago, my readings were all zero but went threw many different kinds of algae for months, turns out my test kit went bad!! dont use those cheaper ones with the four bottles and four small tubes cant think of the name, buy hanna checkers or red sea test kits for starters, filter socks.

slickace17
01/26/2015, 10:41 AM
I don't have a sump setup and my LFS store uses the same test kit that I use which is highly recommended and my water doesn't seem to have any dead spots as my substrate is usually blown all around my my filtration setup is Eheim ultra G 90 canister filter I use media carbon filters with no skimmer and i feed wcery other day

2_zoa
01/26/2015, 01:12 PM
You might try upping the cleanings on your canister filter. Lots of stuff gets built up very quickly in canisters. At least mine did when I tried to run one.

bertoni
01/26/2015, 02:35 PM
Any form of filtration media in the canister, such as sponges or ceramic pellets, might produce nitrate in the water column. How much food is going into the tank for each feeding?

Azedenkae
01/26/2015, 03:28 PM
Ok so I have a 75 gallon setup with 50 lbs Carib reef rock and about 6 lbs live rock I have Carib sea live sand and my tank is about 3 almost 4 months old I check my params a few times a week and my ph 8.0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 but my nitrates are like a dang 40 almost. I feed my livestock every other day (flame hawk,two damsels,snowflake clown, blood fire shrimp) I feed my bta every 5 days a qtr piece of silverside.. I don't think I'm overfeeding but I need a way to get and keep my nitrate down wat is the best method of water changes because I am seeking to get coralline growing on the rest of my rock

Either use algae or denitrifying bacteria would be your best choice.

I use Marine Pure blocks and my nitrates are always low.