PDA

View Full Version : Please walk me through posting photos

HeadleesSon
01/14/2015, 03:33 PM
Hi all, I have some experience with reefs, but little with forums. I am hoping someone will walk me through posting photos. I know nothing about this. I guess I need an account on some other site and then link to that? How does that work?

MondoBongo
01/14/2015, 03:38 PM
you can link them from an outside side like flickr or whatever image hosting the kids are using these days, or you can use the advanced reply screen and hit the paper clip icon in the top row next to the smiley to attach them to the post.

lazydaze73
01/14/2015, 03:40 PM
Click on the paperclip above the reply box. Browse files on your computer, click the one you want and press upload. When you upload all you want exit that pop up box. Click on the paperclip again and insert your pics. Hope I explained it well enough.

Goldndoodle
01/14/2015, 03:42 PM
Not saying this is the only way to do it. But this is the way I do it.

1) Go to Photobucket.com - create an account.
2) Upload photos to Photobucket
3) Click on library in Photobucket, pick the photo I want.
4) Click the chain link circle to bring up a page with different URLs for different sites
5) Copy the DIRECT URL from that page
6) Come back to Reef Central - write a post
7) Click the button that looks like a yellow square with a mountain on it, in the bar above where you type your post
8) Paste the URL I copied from Photobucket in there and hit ok.

If done right, you'll end up with a photo in your post like this ...

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag146/Goldndoodle/Mobile%20Uploads/th-8_zps2b5496e7.jpeg

HeadleesSon
01/14/2015, 08:51 PM
Ok, thanks everyone. I will try both methods.

Reef Frog
01/14/2015, 09:39 PM
Mondo & Lazy or anyone at all:

Does the method you describe (attach w paper clip) result in those low res tiny postage stamp size pics on the bottom of the post? I almost always post & read from an iOS device without Tapatalk if that matters.

I've tried posting using a 3rd party site (Dropbox) but all I've ever got was a link to the photo, not the photo itself. Thanks for any insight....

FraggledRock
01/14/2015, 10:01 PM
you have to host the photo on a site.

you get one free attachment per thread, other than that you need to use 3rd party free hosting sites.

FraggledRock
01/14/2015, 10:01 PM
i usually use this site:

http://postimage.org/

it spits out the code after you upload =) simple!

Reef Frog
01/14/2015, 10:41 PM
Thanks, good to know.

MondoBongo
01/15/2015, 06:46 AM
Yes the attach ends up with smaller photos usually. They're size limited to reduce the amount of storage and transfer that the forum needs to support.
For the outside sites, some allow hot linking, which is where the image shows up, while some do not.

For example I know google+ allows it. You just goto the photo in your gallery, right click view image, then right click copy image URL (or location depending on your browser) and hit the little picture icon in the reply window and enter the link you just copied. Some sites like photo bucket provide you that link next to the image, and allow a certain amount of hot linking depending on what level of account you have.

Chen1009
01/15/2015, 08:39 AM
What others have said :)

Here are some more detailed instructions that I've found:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1905405