PDA

View Full Version : Which fish to get??

Pondweed
01/14/2015, 06:00 PM
Hey, I'm really looking to get a different colour fish for my tank its been going for just over a year now and its all looking good!

It's a 140ltr 3 foot wide tank, and i was hoping to either get a
Copperband butterfly fish- some people say my tank is too small but others thing it should be fine??

Banana wrasse- I dont know much about these but saw some pictures of the bright yellow colours and i want one!

is there anything else like these I could get preferably a very bright yellow that will stand out in the tank.

So far I have 2 of the normal clown fish, 3 blue chromis, and a couple of the pajama cardinal fish.

ALSO I'm hoping to eventually add a flame angel fish, but I've also been looking at the lemonpeel angel fish, so not sure there either

any help greatly appreciated!!!

Jacobsdad09
01/14/2015, 06:17 PM
midas blenny

Reef Frog
01/14/2015, 10:34 PM
There is a yellow dottyback that's attractive but probably very aggressive. Yellow Coris wrasse but your tank may be too small - check - they are active swimmers. A royal gramma is excellent & is half yellow. Yellow Assessors & clown gobies are yellow, peaceful & small. That lemon peel can be aggressive & destructive to coral. Your tank may be at or near it's maximum IMO. I would look for a smaller peaceful fish that can still hold its own IF you're going to add one.

SO DONT BUY THEM ALL
YOUR TANK IS TOO SMALL
DIMMENSIONS ARE TIGHT
WHICH CAUSES THEM TO FIGHT
THEY NEED ROOM TO SWIM
AND THIER POO U MUST SKIM
KEEP THE TANK CLEAN
OR YOU'LL HAVE FIELDS OF GREEN

ichthyogeek
01/14/2015, 10:42 PM
Simply because, I'd put a copperband in a bigger tank. A 55 gallon at least.

I've kept Halichoeres chrysus (banana wrasse, yellow coris) in a 29 gallon aquarium, and it was thriving...until it jumped.

A midas blenny would look nice, and fill in the zooplanktivore niche you've left open nicely.

Personally, I'd go with one of the smaller dwarf angels, like the pygmy yellowtail. These fish are very small for Centropyge, and would probably fit in your tank better, which leads to the next subject...

However, you already have 7 fish in a 37.5 gallon tank. That...is a lot of fish in a 37.5 gallon. Do keep this in mind when stocking, as you don't want algae blooms, etc. in the tank. How much filtration are you running, etc.?

Reef Frog
01/14/2015, 10:55 PM
Oh I agree ! Didn't see the Copperband on that post. Needs much more room for sure. The 3 Chromis were pushing things in my mind already.

Pondweed
01/14/2015, 11:00 PM
I'm running a skimmer made for a 300ltr tank as well as have about 12kg of live rock.

I didnt know i was that close to the limit of fish i could have. its all been very stable since i added the clowns last which was about 4 months ago.

ichthyogeek- you're spot on about what niche i need to fill, want something to help eat the algae and green stuff, not that there is much of it anyway (assuming thats what zooplanktivore) means. that is why i was looking at longnose butterfly and copperband butterfly.

the midas blenny is cool so im looking into them now but i was really hoping to get like the signature stand out fish for my tank, thats why i was kind of hoping my last one could either be a butterflyfish or a pygmy angel

Pondweed
01/14/2015, 11:01 PM
Oh I agree ! Didn't see the Copperband on that post. Needs much more room for sure. The 3 Chromis were pushing things in my mind already.

Just to make sure- I dont own the copperband it was just something i was hoping to get :) so apparently I won't be until i move and can get a bigger tank

Crooked Reef
01/14/2015, 11:58 PM
Yellow coris wrasse or yellow and purple wrasse if you can find one. The banana wrasse gets up to a foot and needs 125 gallons, not liters. Look on liveaquaria.com . You can see different fish, their personality and minimum tank sizes. You can learn a lot of general information from there.

ichthyogeek
01/15/2015, 07:20 AM
oh! zooplanktivores are the fish that swim around in the water column, like midas blennies, anthias and chromis...wait, you already have chromis, my bad!

If you're looking for a grazer, there's not much for small tanks, but you can always go for some sort of algae eating blenny. I've never had any luck with them, but bicolor blennies (Ecsenius bicolor) are half yellow, and eat algae. You never mentioned if it was a reef or not, but you can also always go with snails for algae cleanup, 3 Turbos should do it.

longnose and copper butterflies are more of benthic predators, just look at the mouths. They're adapted to picking worms and stuff out of reef crevices, not really grazing on algae.

Shawn O
01/15/2015, 10:05 AM
I agree with Reef Frog, Yellow Assessors & clown gobies are small and yellow. You can always add a few turbo snails for the algae as ichthyogeek suggested. 37 gallons is pretty small for many fish, check out LiveAquaria and you will find that they list a suggested minimum tank size for each fish. Factor it a little higher since you will have more fish in that tight of a space than would likely be found in the ocean. Snorvich has a thread here (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2068112) about intended fish purchases and fish compatibility, it's a good idea to check that before purchasing any animal.

Pigpen17
01/15/2015, 02:22 PM

I agree. I have 3 Blue Reef Chromis in a 30" w tank and they are getting big. Too big.

My Midas Blenny is perfectly happy in this size tank though. Doing great. A bit territorial about it's hole though. :p

Edit:
Oh I just saw your tank is 37g. I have a 56g. May be different as far as the Blenny.

debincalif
01/15/2015, 03:16 PM
I had a midas blenny in my first tank (20g) and he was an awesome fish! Lots of personality and gorgeous colors.

Pigpen17
01/15/2015, 03:20 PM
I had a midas blenny in my first tank (20g) and he was an awesome fish! Lots of personality and gorgeous colors.

Heck yeah. Active and engaging. Silly as well. I love it when a fish is hanging out above its hole and it sticks it head out upside down to give them the stink eye.