PDA

View Full Version : Treating Gram-Negative Bacteria: Need advanced help

Travis L. Stevens
01/16/2015, 07:22 AM
Looking to treat fin rot on my clownfish, but access to various medications is nearly impossible. Fish stores are located 1.5 hours away, and I go to work and come home before and after they close respectively. I need to find alternate ways of dealing with this situation with what I currently have available or through other means. My current list of treatment options (covering all just to make a complete list):

Freshwater Baths
Hyposalinity
Chelated Copper
Melafix
ChemiClean
Hydrogen Peroxide Baths

I'm thinking I might be lucky and able to use ChemiClean in a Hospital Tank in order to combat this, but I'm unsure. I'm not opposed to begging my local pharmacist, either.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Travis L. Stevens
01/16/2015, 10:44 AM
I just got lucky, and in the little town I'm working in, I found a mom and pop pet store that had erythromycin and tetracycline. Now that I have so many options, does anyone have any suggestions?

Newsmyrna80
01/16/2015, 07:39 PM
Are you sure you are dealing with gram negative? If so erythromycin won't do too much as it is for gram negative bacteria. You will need something like Nitrofurazone, kanamycin, metrodiazonole, etc. Can you order something online? There's some good info on this website: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_2/mycobactera.htm
I would not subject them to anything harsh, like copper, peroxide baths, etc, with open wounds. Do you have any Selcon to add to their food?

Dmorty217
01/16/2015, 08:05 PM
Ciproflaxin is a wide range antibiotic used for many gram negative issues. It's also easily obtainable

Travis L. Stevens
01/16/2015, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the help guys, but she already passed away this afternoon during Eryth treatment

Newsmyrna80
01/17/2015, 08:32 AM
Man, so sorry:(

Travis L. Stevens
01/17/2015, 07:23 PM
That's okay. The male is still alive. Ironically, it was the male that was the "Outbreak Monkey"