PDA

View Full Version : Angel advice

nothingfishy
01/16/2015, 09:54 AM
Hello all. I have a 155 med stocked tank. It has a 3 inch achilles, 3 inch asfur, 1 foot snowflake, 4 in green bird and niger trigger. The niger I am going to part ways with because it has become aggressive and eats everything to the point I feed more than I want to in order for it to get to others.

That said I will have 5 fish. My lfs has a really nice blue queen, about 6 inches I would like to get. My one concern is the asfur, but the blue will be nearly double the size.

My 155 can not house both long term, however in my garage is a used 300 I picked up from a restaurant who downsized. This will be going in my living room, and will have it wet by beginning of summer.

My question is would you let an asfur half the blues size keep you from doing the blue? Also, in the past I have had several queens at diff points with no success. After death, a freshwater dip showed hundreds of flukes on them falling off, supposedly these fish were from the west (la) this blue in particular was brought in by lfs from a private diver in Florida, never sent to California. From what I've read, it's better I get carribean fish from east coast supplier.

I will be using same sump , skimmer etc on 300, just have to build a stand.

Thanks in advance

MrCaveman
01/16/2015, 10:32 AM
If you really like queen then I would give it a go, only if the 300 is for sure to be setup in summer. just be prepared if they start fighting. If they do you can always use egg to separate them until they get acclimated to each other.

Dmorty217
01/16/2015, 03:11 PM
Queen angels are second to only emperors as far as aggression goes so just keep that in mind

Betta132
01/16/2015, 06:44 PM
If flukes drop off a dead fish in freshwater, why not dip a live fish in freshwater? 5-10 minutes shouldn't hurt a fish, but most parasites HATE backwards-salinity water and will fall right off.

nothingfishy
01/17/2015, 05:06 PM
Ok so I acquired the guy, and he are 5 minutes after induction. Also fw dipped him, for about 4 minutes and didn't observe anything fall off.

Along with him, I bought a blue tang, as well as a 4 inch gray angel. I had credit at the store I had to use, so I took a chance.

Stupid of me, the blue tang is being chased by domino damsel( trapping damsel tonight when I get home from work). And my asfur is all over the gray.

I have a few choices I think, one being to put asfur whose already been living in my system in sump, and reintroduce him in a week. Or I can take gray, stick in my 60 gallon cube until someone can come get him.

Really want to make it work, but I have my doubts. Is the sump risky short term? As long as I feed down there, and there is a good amount of space, I would think it would be identical conditions to my display.

Mideast or suggestions or welcome, along with any criticism I deserve as well.

Dmorty217
01/17/2015, 07:28 PM
Put the angel in the sump for a few days then when your ready to reintroduce you should catch all of the bullying fish, rearrange some rock work and acclimate them all together and your issue should be solved

nothingfishy
01/17/2015, 11:43 PM
Thanks dmorty. I came home tonight, what I thought would be 5 minutes turned into 3 hours. Had to pull out all rock, and catch damsel, who is kow in one side of sump, and the asfur, who is in the other side. I then rearranged rock (btw how long can rock be out of water for bacteria not too die and cause ammonia spoke? My basement is about 65 degrees and I had hh out for maybe an hour or so..bout half of my total rock)
Tank is cloudy, but the grey angel and hippo are out now that the culprits are in sump.

My question is , the sump is pretty dl dark, has maybe 18 inches by 6 inches of a swimming lane, can a 3 inch asfur survive on there for a week?( is that long enough to try reintroducing?) I know the water will be same temp, ph etc as
My display, just not sure how safe not
Is with fast move water runnjng in there. If not I can put him in my 60 cube for a whole.

freeflydive
01/18/2015, 02:25 AM
I don't envy you for introducing so many fish that are competing for dominance. A couple of potential tricks…mount a small mirror in the DT…it will occupy the aggressive fish as it guards its territory from its own reflection! Another option, when introducing a new fish in the future, is to use a critter cage (2-3 gallons) in the DT; drill additional holes in the critter cage and place the new fish in it for 2-3 days (provided it is adequate for its size)…this will enable the existing fish to get used to the new fish's presence. Unfortunately, there isn't a hard and true answer…but this gives you a couple of options to try.

Dmorty217
01/18/2015, 04:56 PM
Thanks dmorty. I came home tonight, what I thought would be 5 minutes turned into 3 hours. Had to pull out all rock, and catch damsel, who is kow in one side of sump, and the asfur, who is in the other side. I then rearranged rock (btw how long can rock be out of water for bacteria not too die and cause ammonia spoke? My basement is about 65 degrees and I had hh out for maybe an hour or so..bout half of my total rock)
Tank is cloudy, but the grey angel and hippo are out now that the culprits are in sump.

My question is , the sump is pretty dl dark, has maybe 18 inches by 6 inches of a swimming lane, can a 3 inch asfur survive on there for a week?( is that long enough to try reintroducing?) I know the water will be same temp, ph etc as
My display, just not sure how safe not
Is with fast move water runnjng in there. If not I can put him in my 60 cube for a whole.

I personally believe 24 hrs is long enough... To answer your question yes the angel could live in the sump for a wk without issue

JC863
01/23/2015, 08:43 AM
Just curious is that angel a blue queen hybrid or just a blueish queen angel.