PDA

View Full Version : metronidazole flakes reef safe?

Ron448
01/16/2015, 06:52 PM
So I wasn't really thing strait and I used water from my quarantine tank to thaw out some frozen food and I dumped the excess into my display tank so then I was like screw it ill put my fish in the DT. My clowns seem healthy except for some white poop which some people say can be normal but I want to treat with metronidazole flakes just to be safe so I'm wondering if anyone has ever used metronidazole flakes in a reef tank because I have some corals and live rock but I don't want to start treatment until I'm certain that they're reef safe. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kidd Reef
01/17/2015, 01:19 AM
no idea about the food, But if its feces are white AND stringy could be an parasite. Prazipro is a reef safe medicine used for intestinal parasites though if you might rather try that route. alot of people recomend it for wrasses because alot of them are caught with parasites.

Hopefully someone else can chime in on the flakes if you gotta use them.

firemountain
01/17/2015, 02:07 AM
No experience with the flakes....sorry. If you have white stringy poop ...that could be an indication of flukes....which would mean Prazipro would help. In terms of Prazipro and Wrasses....make sure you dose EXACTLY to the manufacturers recommendation. I believe Wrasses are a bit sensitive to the med, and if overdosed, will kill them. I believe it's repeatedly brought up here as a topic of conversation.

Also.... Prazipro can deplete O2 levels in the tank and have fish lose their appetite. If you can do it in Quarantine, that would be ideal, but if you have to dose your main tank...it is reef safe. When ever I dose Prazipro....I run a small air bubbler to keep O2 levels up.

Kidd Reef
01/17/2015, 11:04 AM
No experience with the flakes....sorry. If you have white stringy poop ...that could be an indication of flukes....which would mean Prazipro would help. In terms of Prazipro and Wrasses....make sure you dose EXACTLY to the manufacturers recommendation. I believe Wrasses are a bit sensitive to the med, and if overdosed, will kill them. I believe it's repeatedly brought up here as a topic of conversation.

Also.... Prazipro can deplete O2 levels in the tank and have fish lose their appetite. If you can do it in Quarantine, that would be ideal, but if you have to dose your main tank...it is reef safe. When ever I dose Prazipro....I run a small air bubbler to keep O2 levels up.

Yep, all of the above is good advice.. Wrasses are sensitive and fish can be wiped out if proper oxygenation isnt present.

I've used it on a leopard wrasse twice doing all this and had no ill effects. But if you look into it theres a few thread on here about people losing fish because they didnt know better.

m0nkie
01/17/2015, 01:37 PM
I don't have metronidazole flakes, but I've been putting 1 scoop of seachem metronidazole into frozen food to help my fish combat ich while I slowly remove them into QT..

metronidazole has no effect on my corals and anemones in these small quantity.. I have LPS, SPS, Softies, BTAs, Carpets, Etc...

Ron448
01/19/2015, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the input guys and sorry I didn't respond earlier. The sorting settings had the post hidden a little bit. I originally thought they had flukes so I began treatment with prazipro but after two seperate prazipro doses they didn't get any better which is why I don't think they have flukes and I want to see if the metronidazole flakes get rid of the white stringy poop. Another person on different thread I made said that he had some clownfish and they had white stringy poop off and on for 10 years and they were doing fine other than that so it they could be fine but I want to try the metro flakes just to be safe

mujtaba
03/16/2015, 04:59 AM
Thanks for the input guys and sorry I didn't respond earlier. The sorting settings had the post hidden a little bit. I originally thought they had flukes so I began treatment with prazipro but after two seperate prazipro doses they didn't get any better which is why I don't think they have flukes and I want to see if the metronidazole flakes get rid of the white stringy poop. Another person on different thread I made said that he had some clownfish and they had white stringy poop off and on for 10 years and they were doing fine other than that so it they could be fine but I want to try the metro flakes just to be safe

Its been quite sometime since ur last post but i am interested in knowing ur experience with metro. I am also planning to treat with metro after not getting desired results from prazipro.

Ron448
03/18/2015, 10:22 PM
Just now seeing this mujtaba but I did end up feeding my clownfish the metronidazole flakes in my display tank while I had corals in it and the corals were fine. I tried to make sure not to over feed just as a precaution for my corals. I followed the instructions for the metro flakes and it didn't really help that much. They were still pooping white after the metro flake treatment so I ended up taking them to a vet and he told me he could see nematode eggs after looking at the tank water under a microscope. I have one more dose left for the nematode treatment he gave me and one of my clowns has not been eating and has been staying in a big PVC pipe and has been barely moving and practically laying on the bottom of the PVC pipe for about a week now. I'm going to give the tank transfer a try once I'm finished with the nematode treatment just in case they have ich and hopefully they will be rid of parasites after that. I've already treated them with prazipro, paraguard, and metro flakes, none of those solve the supposed nematode infestation and hopefully the last nematode treatment from the vet will end the white poop. If you have the liquid metro I don't know if it is reef safe but the flakes didn't have any negative effects on my corals. What fish are you treating and what are the symptoms?

mujtaba
03/19/2015, 01:06 AM
Hopefully u get the desired results from the treatment. I dont have any corals so i wanted to know if i can dose metro to the DT, since feeding the desired amount of metronidazol seems difficult.
My bicolor angel is have whitish stringy poop and faded colors and powder brown tang occasionally scratches its sides but appetite is fine. No other fish is showing any such symptoms. Its been like this for around 2 months.

Ron448
03/19/2015, 05:20 AM
Do you have live rock? I know some medications will wipe out the bacteria population on live rock so if you don't have live rock I think it might be all right but I've only had a reef tank. My advise would be to use a sesperate quarantine and honestly the only way to really accurately diagnose what the white stringy poop is would be to see a vet because if nematodes are causing the white poop like in my clowns the vet I saw told me the metro didn't treat nematodes and I gave my fish three different medications the treated bacterial, fungal, and parasitic infections which a cover most infections and it still didn't help much

FishN00b83
03/19/2015, 06:11 AM
metro doesn't dissolve well in water, it also dissipates pretty quickly in water. the best way to use it would be with a binder and have the fish eat it.

I'm not sure metro will help you fluke problem though. prazipro takes a few rounds to work. I'm currently on my 4th round and my pbt still has a fluke in its eye. if the next round doesn't knock them out I might have to use formalin baths or something. I haven't seen anything on metro and flukes, I would like to use it, but I'm not sure that would effect the flukes at all.