PDA

View Full Version : Another Xenia thread!

FraggledRock
01/16/2015, 11:48 PM
i know i know

Ok so i bought the purple/blue pulsing xenia and I am having a hard time figuring out where to place it.

I read they are hit or miss, but i dont want to miss.

yesterday when i put the xenia in they were looking fine. i found a spot they liked and everything looked good to go.

i get home today and they are all curled up not fully retracted but not extended.

do they like high flow high light?

high flow low light?

low flow high light?

low flow low light?

i don't want to keep moving them around and stressing them out.

theatrus
01/16/2015, 11:51 PM
I have no idea what they like. I used to have forests of the stuff (see profile picture), but now I can't keep it alive (I have one tiny sad shriveled up spot).

In general, it loves dirtier water, and won't thrive in a 0 nitrate / 0 phosphate setup

FraggledRock
01/16/2015, 11:56 PM
I have no idea what they like. I used to have forests of the stuff (see profile picture), but now I can't keep it alive (I have one tiny sad shriveled up spot).

In general, it loves dirtier water, and won't thrive in a 0 nitrate / 0 phosphate setup

http://www.troll.me/images/jackie-chan-whut/***-is-this-****.jpg

I finally get my parameters "perfect"

and now my corals don't like it...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-cUr2M2aJXfY/UusGb8STSuI/AAAAAAAAAN0/VMxofwRoMng/s320/download+(2).jpg

http://media2.firstshowing.net/firstshowing/img7/grumpycat-originalimage-tsr2.jpg
LLLOLOLLOL

TangingOut
01/17/2015, 12:24 AM
I also added a small peace of blue pulsing xenia recently as well. I have it isolated on top of an island towards the middle/bottom with moderate flow. It's so far doing great with 0 nitrates and .08 phosphates.

Give it a couple days. I'm were a little closed the first few days.

FraggledRock
01/17/2015, 12:28 AM
I also added a small peace of blue pulsing xenia recently as well. I have it isolated on top of an island towards the middle/bottom with moderate flow. It's so far doing great with 0 nitrates and .08 phosphates.

Give it a couple days. I'm were a little closed the first few days.

ok yea patience IS a virtue =)

mandarin_goby
01/17/2015, 07:38 AM
I have tons of it that does well in my 40b on the sand or high up, in high and low flow. I don't understand the stuff at all to be honest! Mine closes up when I move it, but then it's back to its waving, invasive self.

dkeller_nc
01/17/2015, 08:16 AM
i know i know

Ok so i bought the purple/blue pulsing xenia and I am having a hard time figuring out where to place it.

A lot of experienced members here (including me) will tell you the answer to your question is: "In the trash can".

Xenia, along with red and green star polyps and a few other types of soft coral can really be invasive pests, and in a larger tank, an eradication impossibility.

If you've a soft coral tank and wish to keep it that way, xenia is an interesting coral. But it's a weedy pest in a stony coral tank.

Nina51
01/17/2015, 08:57 AM
i put a small rock with some xenia on it about midway up the back wall, laid it right against the glass. a couple of pieces attached themselves to the glass. i removed the rock and i'm hoping it will spread along the glass. it'll take forever in a 75g but i've seen pics of xenia covering the back glass and it looks neat. i may regret it. LOL

FraggledRock
01/17/2015, 10:11 AM
A lot of experienced members here (including me) will tell you the answer to your question is: "In the trash can".

Xenia, along with red and green star polyps and a few other types of soft coral can really be invasive pests, and in a larger tank, an eradication impossibility.

If you've a soft coral tank and wish to keep it that way, xenia is an interesting coral. But it's a weedy pest in a stony coral tank.

Lol well itll be mainly lps. Maybe one acropora wayyyy down the road for a little variety.

I dont think i mind it spreading a bit. Will it spread to nearby rock or will it spore all over?

FraggledRock
01/17/2015, 10:12 AM
i put a small rock with some xenia on it about midway up the back wall, laid it right against the glass. a couple of pieces attached themselves to the glass. i removed the rock and i'm hoping it will spread along the glass. it'll take forever in a 75g but i've seen pics of xenia covering the back glass and it looks neat. i may regret it. LOL

Thsts a pretty neat idea!

I hope it turns out as expected for you lol

dkeller_nc
01/17/2015, 10:18 AM
It spreads by division. But this doesn't mean it's easy to get rid of - any amount of tissue remaining on a rock that's been scrubbed will re-generate into a new colony.

I do have some pulsing xenia in a separate 20g tank with no other coral because I like it and think it's neat. But I'd never put it in any of my reef DTs.

Toddrtrex
01/17/2015, 10:28 AM
Mine seems to love every condition.

I can do weekly water changes (( 5 gallons on a 65 )) for 2 months straight, and then not do one for 2 months --- no change.

Some is within 5 inches of 2*250 MH + 2*39 T5, does great. Others are at the bottom corner, shaded by a rock, does great.

Some are being blasted by 2 MP10s, others no flow -- no difference.

The only thing that slows it down, is coming into contact with my S. haddoni.

From a couple of years ago --- pretty much looks the same now, I thin it out every month or so.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/65/056_zpsadb3538c.jpg

theatrus
01/17/2015, 10:52 AM

I can do weekly water changes (( 5 gallons on a 65 )) for 2 months straight, and then not do one for 2 months --- no change.

Some is within 5 inches of 2*250 MH + 2*39 T5, does great. Others are at the bottom corner, shaded by a rock, does great.

From a couple of years ago --- pretty much looks the same now, I thin it out every month or so.

I can just imagine the motion in that tank! (and the smell when you thin it out)

Toddrtrex
01/17/2015, 10:55 AM
I can just imagine the motion in that tank! (and the smell when you thin it out)

If I can't give it away, I only thin out on Sunday nights --- Monday is trash day. Did it mid week once --- during the summer --- and would darn near throw up any time I was even near the trash can.

Pigpen17
01/17/2015, 11:39 AM
Beginner to coral here as well.

The tip I got when I introduced mine was to check carbonate hardness. My Alk was at about 7. I raised it to 8-9 and it's been doing great. It is scary how much it's grown.

I also have it on a rock away from the rest of my aquascspe. Xenia Island.

Pigpen17
01/17/2015, 01:32 PM
Here is the thread that got me on the right track. Hope it helps.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2383949

Pigpen17
01/17/2015, 01:33 PM

That's incredible. Do you have video of that tank?

Nina51
01/17/2015, 03:35 PM
hey, todd, good to see you!! that tank looks awesome!

Toddrtrex
01/17/2015, 06:13 PM
That's incredible. Do you have video of that tank?

A pretty old one --- still have the angels, but the other fish are different.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4unLK5Doh8c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hey, todd, good to see you!! that tank looks awesome!

Howdy Nina, thanks.

Need to update the pics and videos, been busy lately setting up the new tank.

Pigpen17
01/17/2015, 06:40 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4unLK5Doh8c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Howdy Nina, thanks.

Holy crap that's cool. Hey, I have the same crab! It's living in my Xenia. That guy must love that tank.

FraggledRock
01/17/2015, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the posts guys!

I was busy today.

I took a trip to the ocean to fetch me a few pails of water!!

I will never buy RODI or Reef salt again!

Natural sea water is the way to go!

0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, perfect ph, perfect calcium. perfect salinity.

I am running a hob with on a 5 gallon pail with carbon to clear ti up.

i already did a 5 gallon water change and will do 5 more tomorrow.

QuiGonJay
01/17/2015, 09:37 PM
What I always find amazing about xenias is that they just move until they find a spot they like. Mine started out low in the tank but have eventually hiked up to near the top in a moderate/high flow area. My tank isn't that big and I actually will periodically scrape them off, move them back down to have them climb up again just to keep them roughly I want them. A softie tank with one LPS frag, so I'm OK with the occaisional thinning I'll need to do - I just think they are fun to watch.

Clowny88
01/17/2015, 09:45 PM

What are you using for your light setup? Looks great!

I'm upgrading my lighting and was curious on specifically what your setup is?

dkeller_nc
01/18/2015, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the posts guys!

I was busy today.

I took a trip to the ocean to fetch me a few pails of water!!

I will never buy RODI or Reef salt again!

Natural sea water is the way to go!

0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, perfect ph, perfect calcium. perfect salinity.

I am running a hob with on a 5 gallon pail with carbon to clear ti up.

i already did a 5 gallon water change and will do 5 more tomorrow.

Um - you still require RODI water to make up for evaporation. Many folks do use natural seawater, you will just want to be cautious that you don't collect it right after a few days of rain, and that you collect it on the incoming tide.

edinphilly
01/18/2015, 10:05 AM
I agree with in the trash. A 15 dollar frag of Waving Hand caused headaches beyond belief. All that stuff spreads like a weed and is not controllable. Mine is a mostly LPS tank. The waving hand was so invasive it won a war against an RBTA. I finally nuked it with fish fenbendazole which is not fun to go through. Unless you want a tank full of it pull it out now.
This

Became this (and this is a small patch of it)

FraggledRock
01/18/2015, 11:08 AM
I agree with in the trash. A 15 dollar frag of Waving Hand caused headaches beyond belief. All that stuff spreads like a weed and is not controllable. Mine is a mostly LPS tank. The waving hand was so invasive it won a war against an RBTA. I finally nuked it with fish fenbendazole which is not fun to go through. Unless you want a tank full of it pull it out now.
This

Became this (and this is a small patch of it)

Craziness

FraggledRock
01/18/2015, 11:10 AM
But an update on the frag i biught

It likes it as low as bottom with as mich tirbulent flow grom opposing poweheads as possible!
http://s28.postimg.org/fcnci8yt5/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/fcnci8yt5/)

FraggledRock
01/18/2015, 12:04 PM
Whoa they extended even more!!!

http://s14.postimg.org/3q2n53kgd/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/3q2n53kgd/)

theatrus
01/18/2015, 02:40 PM
Xenia will extend the heads from the body structure by 4-5 inches at times in my experience.

pwdblue
01/18/2015, 06:11 PM
I agree it is a weed. I wish there was something that would eat it. I scrap and scrap and scrap but the stuff just won't go away. Drives my LFS crazy that I trash it.

FraggledRock
01/18/2015, 08:00 PM
Xenia will extend the heads from the body structure by 4-5 inches at times in my experience.

Even a small frag?

FraggledRock
01/18/2015, 08:01 PM
I agree it is a weed. I wish there was something that would eat it. I scrap and scrap and scrap but the stuff just won't go away. Drives my LFS crazy that I trash it.

If there was sll lps would b in trouble lol

TheRuss
01/19/2015, 07:51 AM

Perfect example of invasive.

Goldndoodle
01/19/2015, 07:56 AM
I bought a little frag of Xenia about a year ago. Within 9 months it had completely covered a piece of live rock about the size of a cantaloupe - which ended up being a little too much for my 28G nanoCube. I pulled the rock out and took it to my LFS who traded it for a similarly sized live rock, and a couple of zoo frags.

About a month later, I noticed a single polyp of it pulsing away in the back of the tank - which I promptly pulled out and threw away!

FraggledRock
01/19/2015, 08:05 AM
I bought a little frag of Xenia about a year ago. Within 9 months it had completely covered a piece of live rock about the size of a cantaloupe - which ended up being a little too much for my 28G nanoCube. I pulled the rock out and took it to my LFS who traded it for a similarly sized live rock, and a couple of zoo frags.

About a month later, I noticed a single polyp of it pulsing away in the back of the tank - which I promptly pulled out and threw away!

LOL atleast you were able to to a nice trade!

I kinda like them. adds movement, howevr it is my first frag and I dont have any experience yet lol

will it smother other corals? like a torch or hammer for space?

Goldndoodle
01/19/2015, 08:15 AM
As they grew, and started to cover the rock, I moved other things out of the way. But they did seem to keep their distance from other corals. My guess is they're pretty sensitive - so they avoid others that might sting them.

Now the green star polyps are different story ... they encrust over anything in their way. Still debating whether the star polyps are going to make the move from the nanoCube to the bigger tank, or from the nanoCube to the LFS! They covered a smaller rock, and in the process some zoos - I might be able to isolate them in the sand of the bigger tank. I do like their color and their swaying.

FraggledRock
01/19/2015, 08:21 AM
As they grew, and started to cover the rock, I moved other things out of the way. But they did seem to keep their distance from other corals. My guess is they're pretty sensitive - so they avoid others that might sting them.

Now the green star polyps are different story ... they encrust over anything in their way. Still debating whether the star polyps are going to make the move from the nanoCube to the bigger tank, or from the nanoCube to the LFS! They covered a smaller rock, and in the process some zoos - I might be able to isolate them in the sand of the bigger tank. I do like their color and their swaying.

Looks like I need to get whatever coral i want in there asap before the xenia calls it all home LOL

TheRuss
01/19/2015, 08:22 AM
I kinda like them. adds movement

We all like them... They are cool and add movement, but they will take over and you will not be able to get rid of them. I tried to grow on time on my back wall. it was more maintenance getting that off the rock than maintaining the entire tank.

The tank above looks nice and there it nothing wrong with it, but if you want other things get rid of it now.

FraggledRock
01/19/2015, 08:34 AM
We all like them... They are cool and add movement, but they will take over and you will not be able to get rid of them. I tried to grow on time on my back wall. it was more maintenance getting that off the rock than maintaining the entire tank.

The tank above looks nice and there it nothing wrong with it, but if you want other things get rid of it now.

damn... that breaks my heart! LOL

Toddrtrex
01/19/2015, 10:16 AM
What are you using for your light setup? Looks great!

I'm upgrading my lighting and was curious on specifically what your setup is?

At the time of that picture, 2*250 Radiums (( Galaxy ballast )), with 1 50/50 96 watt PC and one Dual Actinic 96 watt PC.

I just replaced that fixture (( was over 15 years old )), with pretty much the same thing -- Deluxe Hamilton fixture, 2*250 14K Hamiltons (( still using the Galaxy ballast )) and 2*39 T5 actinic.

That tank is in the girlfriend's office (( she works from home )), and she loves the stuff. It makes it easier for me to have the newly set up 210. :bum:

ecniVince
01/19/2015, 10:18 AM
I keep two types in one of my tanks. 29g cube. Xenia elongata & Xenia sp.. The irony in this thread is come 3 months from now, you will be wondering how to get rid of this stuff because it will be taking over your real estate! All jokes aside, it's a beautiful softie and grows extremely fast. Give it a few days. It should come around! I would never keep it in a larger tank. My hermits have literally gone burrowing through a patch of the Xenia sp. (Pom Pom variety) and knocked off polyp heads. Wherever that piece lands it attaches and grows! be patient and good luck!

Vince

FraggledRock
01/19/2015, 10:48 AM
I keep two types in one of my tanks. 29g cube. Xenia elongata & Xenia sp.. The irony in this thread is come 3 months from now, you will be wondering how to get rid of this stuff because it will be taking over your real estate! All jokes aside, it's a beautiful softie and grows extremely fast. Give it a few days. It should come around! I would never keep it in a larger tank. My hermits have literally gone burrowing through a patch of the Xenia sp. (Pom Pom variety) and knocked off polyp heads. Wherever that piece lands it attaches and grows! be patient and good luck!

Vince

There I was afraid the crabs were killing it as they walked past them LOL

i had a funny thought, could i get an LPS to grow on a snail or crabs back?

i wanted moving LPS LOLOLOL

theatrus
01/19/2015, 11:06 AM
I have had snails with Xenia on the shell [emoji106]

FraggledRock
01/19/2015, 11:14 AM
I have had snails with Xenia on the shell [emoji106]

lol im gonna experiment LOL

kitkat717
01/24/2015, 11:49 AM

Howdy Nina, thanks.

That is gorgeous! I think softie tanks can be so so beautiful. I hope mine grows that fluffy and healthy!

My purple Xenia seems to do best in lowish flow, not sure about light as I've had to keep it low to keep it from getting too much flow. I started with a teeny tiny frag that I almost killed a couple times (dropped it and tore a stem, dropped something else on it and tore it again). It eventually pulled through and seems to be growing well now. Once it's a little bigger I think it could handle higher flow. I bought it as a tiny 1/2" frag. 1/2" being generous. Now it's about 1"x2".

SaltyDoug
01/24/2015, 02:05 PM
Toddrtex if anything that video sells me on xenia it looks amazing the way it took over the tank. I don't have a preference for corals yet I just want to get into them to have a beautiful environment for my fish. I think they would be perfect for someone like me.

Toddrtrex
01/25/2015, 09:28 AM
Thanks a lot.

BOMPH
02/12/2015, 10:14 PM
Friends don't let friends buy Xenia. A rule we should all live by. It took MONTHS to rid my tank of this stuff.. I had a green paly invasion as well, and have slowly been pulling those little jerks out a few at a time.. Found a few of those little hands pulsing at me mockingly, they've been buried under a field of palys for god knows how long. Nuked them immediately by injecting a little lemon juice into their base and then ripping them off, then chipping the rock at their base off with a flathead screwdriver, just to be safe.

amber3k
02/12/2015, 11:30 PM
I love watching it, but so glad my lfs talked me out of buying it.

Poonagi
02/13/2015, 04:39 PM
Just a follow up question... is it possible to contain Xenia (and GSP for that matter) by placing it on its own rock separate from the main scape? I love the way the pulsing xenia looks and I'd like to have a small-ish batch of it. So I'm thinking about placing a small rock, about 5"x3", in the middle of my sand bed at least 3 or 4" from any other rocks.

Can it and will it find a way to leave the rock?

edit: also love GSP and heard the same about it overtaking entire rocks and growing over other corals. Would love to do another "island" of gsp on the sand bed to contain it. Thoughts?

Pastey
02/13/2015, 04:51 PM
I have a large rock in my 200 that has completely overgrown with GSP. I haven't noticed it moving across the sand bed nor has it cropped up anywhere else in my tank. It WILL suffocate other corals though so use at your own risk.

Poonagi
02/13/2015, 05:12 PM
I have a large rock in my 200 that has completely overgrown with GSP. I haven't noticed it moving across the sand bed nor has it cropped up anywhere else in my tank. It WILL suffocate other corals though so use at your own risk.

Thank you. I figured GSP was easier to contain to one rock. Good to have some confirmation!

Anybody have experience keeping xenia to one rock?