PDA

View Full Version : HELP. All fish dying. Kalk Reactor or OverCirculation Stir Up

Wally.B
01/17/2015, 01:51 AM
Folks,

I did post about an Algae problem, however things have gotten much worse.

Over last few days, almost all my fish have died. Only two left.

Not sure what is causing this. All corals doing ok, actually some better

Shrimp, hermits, urchin, starfish, snails all ok.

This all started this way when I think back.

I started up an old Kalk reactor that I haven't used for years. I did have my APEX monitoring PH, and PH did increase, but swing wasn't much different then before Kalk reactor. Yes Alk and Calcium levels did rise, but I was expecting that to be safe. However I was uncomfortable with the rise in PH so I disconnected the Kalk reactor, just before the next event described below

Then a few days ago, I did what I have done many times before. Used powerhead to power wash ditrius off rocks. Also powerwashed cyano off the rocks. I was a bit more aggressive this time, using a brush to loose the green algae on the rocks. Normally I just let things settle down on the glass bottom tank after the scrubbing.

However this time something different happened. I had to leave in a hurry to pick up kids, and during that time, the timer turned on my new Gyre pump, which was set to max (I did this max setting to allow a bit of swirl. Normally it is set at 20-30%). So for about 10-15 minutes, the tank was a swirling whirl of ditirus and sediments. (note: glass bottom, so no live sand swirling). I figured this released/mixed too many nutrients into the water, so I did a 15% water change on this 90Gal tank.

Over next 2 days, and still today, fish started dying one by one, and are still dying. Going to recover 2 dead fish lost in rocks somewhere (tomorrow). Only 2 left.

I got an ammonia test kit (Free Ammonia NH3 only is ZERO, the toxic Ammonia), (Total Ammonia NH3 and NH4+) is very high.

Once again, all corals doing fine, if not better. Shrimp, and cleanup crews all doing fime for now.

I will get a nitrate test kit tomorrow.

Any suggestions? More water changes? Nitrate may be issue?

Not much to save as far a fish go. Just hoping to keep at least corals from starting to die.

Did I cause a PH shock, by raising PH with Kalk, and then another shock removing Kalk Reactor? Or is the nutrients swirl the issue. ( did notice a smell when I got home to find tank swirling. Went away when I turned off gyre pump).

Here is PH graph before and after Kalk reactor removed, and after rock cleaning.

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah74/wbrejnia/PH-Kalk-PowerScrub_zps783a0360.jpg

Wally.B
01/17/2015, 10:35 AM
Been talking to my fish tank buddy. He helped me think this through.

Why are corals doing well, and fish all dying. Another dead this morning. 1 left.

All inverts are doing fine.

COULD THIS BE A FISH DISEASE? 3 new fish over last while were added to tank. All Clowns.

Lmax8rn
01/17/2015, 11:02 AM
I just lost half of my fish from a heater malfunction. Use a separate thermometer to test your temp. Sorry, that sucks.

slief
01/17/2015, 11:27 AM
Depending on the O2 levels in your system, flow and tank size, blasting the rocks could have caused low O2 levels. Further, I think cyano can be toxic and if enough of it is stirred up in small system, that could have caused issues as well. Vacuuming cyano is much safer than blasting it off the rocks.

I'd continue with your water changes.

Wally.B
01/18/2015, 02:22 AM
I just lost half of my fish from a heater malfunction. Use a separate thermometer to test your temp. Sorry, that sucks.

Sorry about your fish loss. I always thought of this possibility. I just recently bought a Apex Controller. Both my tanks heaters are on the controller. They shut off when thermometer picks up overheat condition. Also added flood sensors, for another bad situation possibility.

I did tear the tank down tonight. Just waiting for more water to heat up to top it up.

Didn't plan on tearing it down, but I knew I had to get the dead fish from under the rocks. The first fish (small) was a quick find, under the 4th rock removed. Murphy's law kicked in for the (Large) Goby. While alive, he hid in rock holes, so I kept removing rock and inspecting. Figures he was under the LAST rock I took out.

With all rocks and corals out, in bins I rolled up my sleeves. I was prepared with Garbage cans of RO, and mixed salt water. Clean all rock really well. Put all living things (not coral), in a spare 10Gal tank. Corals into a separate bin.

Just finished putting rocks back. All new rock layout, new pump layouts. Really like the new setup. The new way I placed rocks and MaxSpect Grye, I'm getting a cool WAVE effect in pulse mode. I'll post a pic when the dust settles.

For now it will be only rock, while I stabilize and monitor the tank. Corals will just be in bin with heather, circulation and some light.

While staring at my new rock layout, it came to me. I THINK I KNOW WHAT CAUSED this fish crash. Something that never ever had happen to me.

It wasn't the water. Since a crash would have hurt shrimp, sensitive corals first. Sure water was going downhill with fish dying.

It was because I bought a fish a few weeks back. Not from the usual place I get fish. These guys are a really good coral store, but they just setup a new section to sell fish. I needed a clown, so go one there. What clues me in, is I was by after I bought that clown. Their whole fish section was closed down. Of course they didn't advertise anything, just said the bacterial in tanks wasn't yet ready.

I GOT A DISEASDED FISH. Which wiped out all fish by one. The surviving fish (Large Cardinal) isn't going back into the tank. It will stay in 10 Gallon for a while. (Quarantine).

LESSON LEARNED!! BUY FISH from an experienced store. Where they age and quarantine their fish.

I can prove it. I'll asked them. But I think this is what happened. (Diseased fish). Not my light scrubbing of tank (done many time before). Cyano was very minimal. (Plus fish started dying before that scrubbing). The one I got from the Coral Store died after 3 days. Plus being a clown, he did get close to my other Clown that died. Also the golby like to hang around both clown, in the Toad stood leather. They all had contact.

When things start going bad you start thinking anything could be cause, till you know, if you ever know. I do keep a log, whenever I add, change, or modify my tank. Helps figure things out sometimes.

Good side to this story. I'm starting over on new re-freshed tank. That's always nice. I still feel sad for losing my 15 year old Power Blue Tank fish buddy. He survived many things. He was there from the beginning of my hobby.

May "Boss" rest in fishy heaven.

Onwards!!

ca1ore
01/19/2015, 03:19 PM
Some description of your dying fish, or a picture would help. Velvet could certainly take down a population of fish in short order or, as you had bought clownfish, so could brooklynella. FWIW, even an 'experienced' store is unlikely to be able to properly quarantine fish, regardless of what they say. It is our responsibility as the final step in the chain to quarantine properly, or choose not to and bear the risk.

Always a bummer to lose fish, particularly one you've had for years.

arc eye
03/19/2015, 01:27 AM
Unfortunately, you've got to do the qt yourself. Sometimes the symptoms are masked with low levels of copper at the store.

I would give your tank 8 weeks with no fish to let parasites like ich or velvet die off. Then qt each fish before entry.

I personally treat all fish with prazipro and tank transfer before releasing them.