PDA

View Full Version : Group of chalk bass

HiImSean
01/18/2015, 05:41 PM
I'm thinking of getting 2-3 chalk bass for my 90g. Is there a way to sex them or are they generally good in pairs/groups?

Dmorty217
01/18/2015, 05:58 PM
They work well in groups. I don't believe they can be sexed

Betta132
01/18/2015, 06:28 PM
They're fine with each other, don't worry about sexing them. Just get your desired number and make sure they each have a hiding spot.

moriarty
01/18/2015, 06:39 PM
+1 to the above posts. Have been keeping these guys in groups for years without issue. Best way to do it is to add them at the same time (find smaller ones if at all possible), and they will establish a pecking order.

ca1ore
01/18/2015, 10:22 PM
One of my absolute favorite fish - not aggressive, relatively easy to keep and feed, and quite active (given adequate space and hiding places). I have a trio of quite large ones in my display (probably close to 3 inches) and a smaller quartet in my grow-out tank. Love 'em.

Haffs09
01/20/2015, 11:36 AM
I finally pulled the trigger and got 12 from Live Aquaria. I'm pretty excited but it will probably be several months before I can add them to my display tank. They are all very small. Hopefully they grow fast!

moriarty
01/20/2015, 08:36 PM
I finally pulled the trigger and got 12 from Live Aquaria. I'm pretty excited but it will probably be several months before I can add them to my display tank. They are all very small. Hopefully they grow fast!

Very cool! I think you will be very happy with these new additions! You are likely already aware of this, but it's worth repeating that these guys are jumpers, and can be quite precise at finding the smallest opening. Aside from that, they are great fish! Very underrated IMO.

ca1ore
01/20/2015, 08:42 PM

Well then, no fooling around ... I'll take one ... no two ... ah, what the heck, gimme a dozen :lol:

Haffs09
01/21/2015, 10:18 AM
moriarty - Yes, I'll need to finally create my screened top for the tank...have had the materials for a couple years, just no inhabitants prone to jumping... until now.

ca1ore - Lol! With a big tank, I might as well try something you don't typically see :)