PDA

View Full Version : Major loss of flow

03silvertj
01/18/2015, 09:16 PM
I've just returned from a deployment and have noticed a MAJOR loss of flow in the tank.

I'm thinking there are two possibilities, either my pump (Blue Line 40) has lost a lot of strength and needs to be replaced, it is about 3 years old. Or I've got a lot of gunk build up in the pipes, but I don't see how there would be so much growth in the pipes that I've lost this much flow. I'd say I've lost 80%.

To give you guys an idea, I've got a little submersible pump I use for water changes. It was filling the sump faster than the blue line was pumping the water back into the tank.

Thoughts?

mpjones
01/18/2015, 09:21 PM
I'd check the pump for blockage (build up) along with the plumbing if possible. If nothing found with either I'd try a new pump and see if things change.

o2manyfish
01/18/2015, 09:21 PM
Check the pump inlet for clogging.

Sometimes you have to take the pump offline, you will find detritus stuck at the entrance of the pump.

Sometimes you have to dissassemble the pump and you will find detritus, snail shells, calcium build up on the impeller and in the pump housing. The heat from the pump attracts the calcium and it builds up enough to slow the impeller and block the water movement. Soak the pump head in vinegar for a few hours, and then plumb the pump to a bucket of vinegar and let it pump the vinegar through overnight.

Dave B

d-man
01/18/2015, 11:01 PM
Yep what Dave said. Turn off pump, find blockage and vinegar bath it if you can. Or atleast give the components a vinegar bath

d-man
01/18/2015, 11:01 PM
Also if you have a check valve, your problem could be there too(hopefully not)

03silvertj
01/19/2015, 04:46 PM
Well! It was the pump inlet! A hermit crab had gotten in there somehow and blocked all the flow. May he rest in peace. lol

Thank you guys for the help! I was worried it was gunk build up in the pipes. That would have been a pain.