PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy RODI water

jsalt1
01/19/2015, 11:18 AM
Hi,
I won't be able to set up my own RODI and want to purchase it monthly. Just wondered if anyone knows where I can buy RODI water in the Oakville or Burlington area (canada)
Thanks
Jsalt1

FraggledRock
01/19/2015, 11:19 AM
you can buy an RODI unit.

or find an LFS that sells it.

where are you located?

you may want to really consider investing in an RODI unit.

jsalt1
01/19/2015, 11:35 AM
I live in oakville (suburb of Toronto). I called a couple water stores and they said they RO that is .01 ppm.. which would be fine but just wondered what the other locals do.

Sk8r
01/19/2015, 11:35 AM
Your supermarket's RO kiosk water is at least half good. Get a TDS meter (total dissolved solids) because stores don't always change their filters when they should. The TDS of ro/di water should be zero.

OTOH, I used to run a ro/di in an apartment: Y connector on the washing machine cold line, wastewater into the basket of the washing machine.

Goldndoodle
01/19/2015, 11:58 AM
Most good fish stores will sell you their RO water for $1/gallon. If you're buying a large amount - more than a couple of 5 gallon buckets - they might need a days advanced notice so they can make sure they have enough.

Again, invest in a TDS meter. After talking to a few stores over the past few months, a couple of them have told me they're letting their filters go to 20PPM before changing them out.

jsalt1
01/19/2015, 12:13 PM
Thanks.
I have a TDS meter and was going to check it myself when i get to the store. They said a lot of people buy water for aquariums there so maybe i will check it out. he said 17 cents a litres. Which is about 3.25 for a 5 gallon jug.

We have a RO for drinking which is about 15 on the tds but its only a 2 or 3 stage - I think for that price i'd rather just buy it. I will make sure it tests properly though
Thanks again

Goldndoodle
01/19/2015, 12:29 PM
If you have an RO system - all you need to do then is buy the DI filter. They sell DI filters that are good for 500 gallons or more on Amazon for under $40. That would last you at least 3 or 4 months.

A DI filter will easily take your current 15PPM water right down to 0PPM.

All you would need to do is cut the water line going to your fridge, put a T in, add a piece of tubing to the bottom of the T, connect that to the DI filter, then another piece of tubing out of the DI filter to a valve, then a small piece of tubing from the valve to control where you're placing the water. You're actually a lot closer than you think to RODI water, and it would be a LOT easier to just have it at your house, and not have to run out to get it. I imagine you get some pretty lousy weather up in the Toronto area in the winter ... there might be some days you won't want to go out to fetch water from the "well" (store).

jsalt1
01/19/2015, 01:01 PM
That sounds easy enough. Any idea where i buy the DI portion of the RO system? The RO reservoir is only 3 gallons. So it will be time consuming for regular water changes but for times when you can't get good RO water at least you have a back up!

digger4rc
01/19/2015, 01:21 PM
BRS sells DI setups. You might have to get creative with the plumbing, but worth a look.

TangingOut
01/19/2015, 03:37 PM
Wow, I didn't know how good I had it before getting my own RO unit. Most LFS around here sale RODI for .25/gallon and reef saltwater for $1.25/gallon. Lugging 35 gallons of water each trip gets old really fast though.

FraggledRock
01/19/2015, 03:51 PM
Wow, I didn't know how good I had it before getting my own RO unit. Most LFS around here sale RODI for .25/gallon and reef saltwater for $1.25/gallon. Lugging 35 gallons of water each trip gets old really fast though.

Yea i am 99% there in getting an RODI unit for top offs. I don't mind going to the beach to get water though! =P

Gets me outta the house! haha

Goldndoodle
01/19/2015, 03:58 PM
Here's the LINK (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JZIDI6G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1)to the one I buy from Amazon.

If you have to make a lot of water for a water change, just let it drip into whatever container you use to mix over night. It actually makes water just as fast dripping into a barrel as it does making it into the 3 gallon storage unit connected to your system.

My RO units have 11 gallon storage tanks on them - I need about 25 gallons for a water change. I quickly dump the 11 gallons out of storage into a 32 gallon Brute barrel, turn off the valve to the storage tank, then leave the tube in the barrel dripping RODI water in there over night. When I wake up in the morning it is just about filled to where I need it.