PDA

View Full Version : Florida keys snorkeling locations?

MMM33732
01/19/2015, 03:34 PM
Any public beaches in the keys that reefs are easily accessible (not too far of a swim) for snorkeling? Doing a cruise that stops there (port of key west I believe) and was hoping to find a reef we could just swim out to rather than taking a boat/excursion.

ace_92101
01/19/2015, 08:13 PM
Maybe Bill can weigh in. The reefs in the Keys are generally fairly far offshore. I've heard the Bahia Honda Key has snorkeling but I haven't been. I've dove Looe Key, which you'd need a boat to reach, which is fairly shallow and should be good for snorkeling.

myaerica
01/21/2015, 08:53 AM
I have been there 9 or more times and as far as I know no reefs that are in swimming distance. Its a boat ride.

MMM33732
01/21/2015, 09:17 AM
I have been there 9 or more times and as far as I know no reefs that are in swimming distance. Its a boat ride.

After extensive searching and combing through reef location maps, that's the conclusion I've been coming to as well. Any recommendations for companies that offer rides out there for some snorkeling?

G_Sanab922
01/21/2015, 03:34 PM
I'm in key largo, definitely not any reefs within swimming distance. And public beaches are difficult to find as well..

If you are going on a cruise then the port will be in key west. Honestly key west isn't as hot as key largo for snorkeling. The better snorkeling will be about 20mins-60mins north of key west..

You are doing a cruise so your time is probably limited. Do you know how long you will be in key west? If you have the time I recommend the dry tortugas ferry tour. It's about $150 per person but it's a great trip.

If you don't like both options try a local excursion but to me it's not worth it compared to what I've seen in other areas. I prefer to enjoy the nightlife/bars/restaurants when I go there. One place I highly highly recommend if you have a sweet tooth is, Mattheessen's, best cookie and fudge you will ever eat.. Enjoy your vacation!

myaerica
01/22/2015, 08:37 AM
We went with A few companies and Fury water adventures were the nicest and best in my opinion. They postponed our trip because of lightning everywhere. Other boats didn't care about your safety they just wanted your money and crazily went out anyway.We went out after the storm passed. I agree with G sanab Key largo is a lot better.