PDA

View Full Version : Infestation of caulerpa

Bobbo15
01/19/2015, 04:08 PM
I have a severe infestation of Caulerpa! So bad the tank is a write off. My question is if I take the rock and use an algaecide to kill the Caulerpa then bleach and baking soda the rock back to dry rock, will I be able to safely use the rock again?

Good Idea or not?

kegogut
01/19/2015, 05:03 PM
You should bleach then acid wash the rock.

You could also try a rabbitfish. pull as much out as you can by hand and it should do the rest.

marvelousone
01/19/2015, 09:43 PM
Tangs will eat it. Pull out what you can. I feed Caulerpa to my tangs. They kill it.

Bobbo15
01/20/2015, 09:44 AM
Bleach and acid it is!

Thanks

FinzAquatics
01/23/2015, 08:56 PM
I bleached all my liverock for my new tank build recently. IMO bleach is more than enough to solve the problem.

Fill some buckets, put rocks in, fill it up with freshwater, and some bleach. let them sit for a couple days. dump out bleach water after a few days. fill back up with freshwater again, add some water conditioner, wait a couple days, do it again. took me about 6 days total

rock went into new tank on day 7.... fast forward a month my seahorses love the new setup! so yes the rock can be used and will not be harmful

FLSharkvictim
01/23/2015, 10:14 PM
Do you have a picture of the tank?

Betta132
01/23/2015, 10:30 PM
Borrow somebody's rabbitfish or tang, much less labor-intensive and won't kill your rock.
Or... a sea lettuce slug (is that the name? Lettuce + slug in some combination) would probably eat it.

Bobbo15
01/25/2015, 08:03 AM
Tank is torn apart already,going fresh, just don't trust it not to come back!
Wife won't let me do the bleach/ acid with grandchildren and great grandchildren here all the time.
Ordering new tank and equipment(everything) this week.

Big surprise to me she wants it in the livingroom this time. Should have had this problem years ago!!!

kegogut
01/25/2015, 09:45 AM
The bleach acid method is perfectly safe. Bleach is just chlorine and is neutralized easy enough. And the acid is neutralized with baking soda.

Its always fun to reaqauscape though.