PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer recommendation

JJ70
01/19/2015, 06:16 PM
Needed advice on skimmer for a 120g mixed reef with 40g sump.

Looking at:

SRO 2000int
Vertex Omega 150
AquaMaxx ConeS CO-2

Probably can't go wrong with any of the above but wanted some feedback from owners of each.

Thanks!

jusn317
01/19/2015, 07:33 PM
I would also take a look at Lifereef VS2-24 skimmers. I have 105 mixed reef with 40 gallon sump and replaced my SRO 2000 with the Lifereef skimmer and it made a huge difference. I'm pulling probably 3 times as much gunk in week than the SRO ever did. Also I have not had any issues with dialing it in. With my SRO either it would overflow or skim really dry and not pull much. Can't comment on the others although I've heard good thing about both.

JJ70
01/20/2015, 09:41 AM
I'll take a look at the LifeReef. Thanks for the suggestion. Anyone else?

myram
01/20/2015, 09:46 AM
I have a Skimz and I'm very happy with it. Has an Italian pump, solid thick acrylic construction, and it skims like a champ. BRS and Aquacave both sell them.

Indiana Reefin
01/20/2015, 11:00 AM
I have a Skimz and I'm very happy with it. Has an Italian pump, solid thick acrylic construction, and it skims like a champ. BRS and Aquacave both sell them.

Like the Italian Stallion (Rocky) :)

I have always liked the SRO 2000 XP Cone. But the vertex omega and the skims are also great choices. Never had experiance with lifereef skimmers but some very well known successfull reefers such as Dennis (D2mini)
IMHO I don't think you can go wrong with any of the listed. I wouldnhonestly go with the least expensive. I know there are some omega 150's for sale on the classifieds forum.